Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Contacted Speck Live Chat and several representatives confirmed that it fits perfectly. Anyone actually using a hard shell case on the new rMBP 13-inch?

aiyaaabatt

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I find that hard to believe...

The laptop is .04 inches thinner, how can what is already suppose to fit 100% perfectly snug (to the old model) fit perfectly to the thinner haswell rMBP??

I call BS.

But I am curious to know as well.

twisdit

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2012
Washington DC
Okay, ordered one from Best Buy and it should be arriving this Friday. So the bottom case fits perfectly?
which shell are you referring to? The "SeeThru" or "SmartShell". I had the SeeThru by Speck but returned it because it was making creaking noises on the right side. Exchanged it for the SmartShell, no more creaking but its kind of loose on the bottom/center where the trackpad is... you can see when you push down on the case.. doesn't really bother me though

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
which shell are you referring to? The "SeeThru" or "SmartShell". I had the SeeThru by Speck but returned it because it was making creaking noises on the right side. Exchanged it for the SmartShell, no more creaking but its kind of loose on the bottom/center where the trackpad is... you can see when you push down on the case.. doesn't really bother me though

I ordered the SeeThru Satin version.

twisdit

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2012
Washington DC
I ordered the SeeThru Satin version.

oh okay, hopefully you get a better fitted one. I bought mine at Best Buy and when i went to go returned it, the rep said I was the second person that day to return the same product for the same reasons. Only difference between the SeeThru and SmartShell is that the SmartShell is 30% thinner/lighter

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
oh okay, hopefully you get a better fitted one. I bought mine at Best Buy and when i went to go returned it, the rep said I was the second person that day to return the same product for the same reasons. Only difference between the SeeThru and SmartShell is that the SmartShell is 30% thinner/lighter

Was that the one on sale at BB for $37.99?

iLLmaticV3

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
I was at Best Buy today earlier to get my rMBP and nearly purchased this case, but was also concerned about it fitting as well as last years model. Ended up not getting it; just doesn't seem like it'll fit as snug, considering the last models fit perfectly.

iMacca

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
Yep, I would like to know as well. Just got my new Haswell 13" rMBP. Am not going to buy a shell that is not perfect.

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
Just bought a Speck Smartshell from Apple store today. Blue colour but not sure what sort of blue as I cannot find it in Speck website. Guess it looks like aqua blue? It has a glossy finish. It does fit the latest rMBP 13-inch well, not too tight and not too loose. Happy with it :) Now I will have to see how long the two small back tabs going to last before they break :p

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Just bought a Speck Smartshell from Apple store today. Blue colour but not sure what sort of blue as I cannot find it in Speck website. Guess it looks like aqua blue? It has a glossy finish. It does fit the latest rMBP 13-inch well, not too tight and not too loose. Happy with it :) Now I will have to see how long the two small back tabs going to last before they break :p

You got pictures of the rMBP with the case on it?

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
I have seen Speck shell, it is no too bad. But, I think it is over price. I picked up Osaka rubberized hard shell for my rMBP 15 from Amazon for $13. I am very happy with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.