Anyone has data about games performances between MBA core2duo vs MBA i7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by darshie76, May 14, 2012.

1. darshie76 macrumors member

I was looking around but I can't find some good comparison related to game performances between the 2 models.

The MBA 2010 has a Core2Duo + Nvidia GPU; and seems to be very good for games (for how good can be an integrated GPU with shared memory on an ultra laptop of course); while the new model has i5 or i7 with Intel GPU.

I am planning to upgrade to the new i7 model; but only if the performances on games are the same or better than the core2duo model.

I can get under windows a 3dmark2006 score of about 2100; but I do not have relevant comparison for the new MBA, since neither Tom's site nor the laptop site has a side to side comparison (you can find results but they have different AA, different detail level and such, so it is hard to compare).

Does anyone have tried to do a comparison between the 2 models and get some results on the games side; using the same settings on both machines?

2. Xikum macrumors 6502

Most games are GPU intensive, as opposed to CPU intensive (with the exception being RPG games to an extent). The 320M is actually a really good card and does beat HD3000 in a few benchmarks; but over all the HD3000 is indeed a better graphics processor.

Upgrading from an i5 to an i7 will not affect gaming noticeably whatsoever. Also, if gaming in particularly important to you then you might re-consider your choice to buy an Air. A windows machine, or a 15" MBP with integrated graphics card would be a much better choice if you intend to game a lot.

3. darshie76 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah; saw in other articles that the Nvidia card was much better on some of the benchmarks than the counterpart on intel (at that time was the gma950 if i recall correctly).

Maybe was not clear but I already own a MB Air, but mine is the old one with the intel core2 duo; so my whole problem was if I should upgrade to the new MB Air with the i7 and intel HD3000.

I don't play a lot of games on it; but I have some old games that I run (like oblivion, half life 2, counterstrike and few others) and some recent ones (like starcraft 2), and I don't want to spend money to upgrade if I will get only a fast processor (the i7 is bar none better than the core2 duo) that gives me very little difference in the gaming performances.

Of course for gaming I use my mac pro; but on the go, nothing beats the 11'' Air honestly (MB are too big and heavy, and a laptop pc is out of question since the majority of my workflow requires a mac). Altho unless you buy a MBP I think that all the other MacBooks has the video card that shares memory with the system, so you will never get even close to a system where the card is on pci-e bus and separated memory (that's why I purchased the mac pro).