Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zsnow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Try to install a falcon 128G to my new uMBP. the drive install just fine and i managed to update the firmware. But i have random freeze issue when installing macos 10.5.7. Sometimes it can go little further but never success. i tried both refresh install and restore from time machine backup. They all have random freeze. I'm not sure it's the drive issue.
Anyone have familiar issue before?

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Try to install a falcon 128G to my new uMBP. the drive install just fine and i managed to update the firmware. But i have random freeze issue when installing macos 10.5.7. Sometimes it can go little further but never success. i tried both refresh install and restore from time machine backup. They all have random freeze. I'm not sure it's the drive issue.

Cheaper SSDs have issues with "stuttering" when you can get random pause up to a few seconds. There are almost always drives that use a controller made by JMicron. I'm not familiar with Falcon but I suspect this is the problem. I've used SSDs by Samsung and Intel and they have no issues like this. Do a google search on "SSD stuttering" and you see why the problem is occuring (basically terrible hardware design).

zsnow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Finally managed to install macos back from time machine... thanks GOD.
looks most people experiencing the same problem to install macos on the new uMBP 13'. I suspect it's the new 1.5gigabit downgrade.

maxb

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
I'm using OCZ Vertex and I cannot install osx because it's freezing during the install process...

very frustating, I think I'll try to downgrade the vertex firmware to see if it helps

MGLXP

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
I'm using OCZ Vertex and I cannot install osx because it's freezing during the install process...

very frustating, I think I'll try to downgrade the vertex firmware to see if it helps

What MacBook Pro are you using?

syqwin

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Adelaide

Hi~ I'm using Silicon Power 128G SSD, a really cheap one with low performance.

I got the random freeze problem too.

Here are my suggestion, turn off the Sudden Motion Sensor.

After this, you may still have the random freeze problem, but it is much better than before.

Another suggestion~your next SSD should be OCZ/Intel/Samsung or pre-installed from Apple. never consider others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.