Anyone have a 10.6.4 KEXT fix for flashed ATI Radeon HD Series?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pfjellman, Jun 15, 2010.

1. pfjellman macrumors regular

pfjellman

Cindori had a fix right away when 10.6.3 came out -- was wondering if he or anyone else knows of a similar fix for the 10.6.4 update? I'd like to grab the update as soon as possible and don't want the same issues happening as before.

I ran the update on a test machine, and same thing happened. No dual DVI and sluggish graphics. I did, however, try installing the KEXTs that fixed the issue last time, the ones Cindori uploaded, and it brought back dual DVI (yay) but graphics performance is horrendous. Exposé and dashboard flicker and lag like crazy, folders in the dock take forever to expand and display, etc. etc.

If there is any sort of fix for this, I would be most grateful so I could update my main Mac Pro to 10.6.4. Thank you!

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Please read and use existing threads.
    Patch is not made by me.

3. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Sorry but which threads?

I'm running a flashed 4870....Will the system update mess things up? I thought to all intents and purposes my Mac would see my card as just a 4870. I don't use dual monitors but openGL performance is really important.

Thanks for any info.

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

The well-hidden thread entitled: Ultimate Thread: 4890 in Mac Pro.

Pertinent post can be found by clicking the equally well-hidden 'last page' link of said thread, and is found here.

You will not need a QE/CI patch if you're running a 4870. That's only for the 4890, as Apple does not officially have a 4890 among the cards in their systems.

5. Gomff macrumors 6502a

OK thanks for the info, that's a relief.

I saw the 4890 thread but didn't think that was the one Cindori was referring to since the title of this thread seems to infer it's the whole Radeon series that's affected by the system update, rather than just the 4890's.

I was under the impression that regardless of system updates and changes therein, my Mac will just continue to see a Mac 4870 card since it was flashed to impersonate one pretty much exactly.....Unless Apple go out of their way to sniff out flashed 4870's and break the drivers intentionally.

Seems logical (he said, hopefully).