Anyone have a 13", 15" and a 17" ?? If so ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Jun 26, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Anyone have a 13", 15" and a 17" ???

If so what do you use them all for? Do you need them or enjoy just changing it up, lol.

Looking in the Picture Gallery it's surprising to see how many people own more than one or two Mac's. Some photo's show 3, 4 even 5 machines :eek: - cool

My two computers get used a lot, but three or four I'm not so sure what I'd do with them.

2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

It can seem out of hand, but it depends on what you are using things for.

My wife and I have four notebooks and there are currently three desktops and two NAS boxes in the house. There are uses.

Macbook Pro 15" (new, June 2009) is my new machine, mainly for field work with Photoshop, but I also purchased it for video editing which I have been doing.

Macbook (white) is used mainly for a mobile Pro Tools rig. I couldn't pass on it; I got it dirt cheap.

Fujitsu T2010 is my wife's main notebook, and she uses it for her graduate classes.

Dell Latitude X1 is old. Still a great machine, and there is nothing more portable and usable. Samsung had a great design for that machine.

Windows Vista destkop (Quad-core, 4gb RAM, 30" monitor) is our main desktop, and I use it for Photoshop and Illustrator mainly. My wife works from home on it on occasion.

Windows Vista HTPC (AMD X2, 4gb RAM, 52" 1080P monitor) is our home theater compliment to our FiOS STB. Vista's Media Center is top-notch. We can stream Netflix, see Microsoft's television content, and I have my entire DVD collection on my NAS. Rather brilliant.

We have a small, fanless PC running Windows XP that we use to print-share a label printer and a photo printer. It was also driving a custom made photo-frame, but unfortunately the LCD finally died and I have not replaced it.

The two NAS boxes are 4tb each (RAID 5) and contain my media as well as a backup of pretty much everything digitized we have custody of. One box mirrors the other box.

I am hoping to replace the main desktop with a Mac Pro at some point and dual-boot the machine with Boot Camp.

We could do without the Macbook and the Dell Latitude at this point. They get used the least. However, I still prefer a dedicated desktop (I like multiple internal drives for what I do) to compliment a laptop. Sharing a laptop with my wife? Not going to happen.

I am just happier since Boot Camp is available. My wife despises Mac OS X. I am indifferent between the UI in Mac OS X and Windows Vista/7, but it makes life in Pro Tools much easier to deal with and Snow Leopard = True 64-bit has me excited.

I did just pre-order four copies of Windows 7 (two Home Premium for the Fujitsu T2010 and the HTPC and two Professional for the desktop and the Macbook Pro). Not a bad deal at all ($50 and $100 each for the upgrades, respectively)

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Not all macs but plenty of laptops/desktops. 5 altogether I think. I'll know for sure the next inventory I take. :eek:

Yeah, it's stupid. I can't picture anyone needing multiple-macbooks for different things. An iMac and a notebook maybe.

If you need more than one notebook per person you're either a techie-nerd or just have deep pockets.

4. adamjackson macrumors 6502a

I've owned all three.

13 was great and I really miss it for travel. A netbook has replaced it though so I'm happy.

the 15 was great but the monitor just wasn't very sharp. it would sit in my bag when I biked to work. I used it at home on my desk and at work on my desk and never took it anywhere else so...

I upgraded to the 17. better resolution, larger monitor, great for use at home & work. it's not that much of a difference from the 15" (1 pound heavier)

5. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

True, I can see how each could be put to use...

1. 13", the MBA is a good example - for travel, couch surfing and the ultimate in portability. A netbook would fit into this category too and I do realize they're popular.

2. 15" for more power on the go I guess, if the MBA/network won't do the job...

3. 17" for the desktop as you mentioned to plug all your peripherals in, maybe use at HTPC, hook to up TV etc.

Yep, deep pockets required for sure, lol .... if you look in the photo gallery it's amazing how many computers/notebooks people have going now. Mac enthusiasts to the max I guess :)

6. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Of the three sizes, which notebook/screen size is your favorite?

7. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I have all three sizes, I travel a lot and do not own a desktop. My top spot is a tie between the 13" &17" MBP. In the old days the 13" was not there, but with the recent upgrade it is a fantastic machine. The 15" I have found I do not use as much since the release of the 13" MBP.

I use the them for the usual office stiff, and mainly web browsing, itunes and planning my life.

8. tim100 macrumors 65816

15 is my favorite. have owned all 3. thought the 17 was the best machine but very big.