anyone have a 17" mbp?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Maugustyn, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Maugustyn macrumors newbie

is it too big? i am thinking of buying one as my only computer and want to know if its worth it with the HD screen?

2. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

i have one and i basically use it as a desktop. it's pretty big to lug around places, and so i bought a used 12" powerbook to carry around. i really do enjoy the screen on the 17". it's beautiful. my suggestion to you is to go to the store and see how you like. g'luck!

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Big is a relative term. LOL.

I have one that I use mostly at home, but that I take on the road about once a month when I travel. The laptop bag I have is a generic 17" PC laptop bag, so it's a little bigger than it has to be. The bag fits under the seat on the plane, or in the over head compartment. Laptop is really too big to use on the plane, except in first class, although I have done it before, by placing it on your lap.

It is certainly bigger and heavier than the 15" when you travel. That said, I use my laptop as a replacement for a desktop, so I really wanted a big screen.

This is my 2nd 17" machine (I had a 17" PB before the MBP), and after using the 17", I didn't really feel like I wanted to go back to a smaller screen for my day-to-day work.

I looked at the HD screen option and decided against it, because everything was just to small for me - it made it difficult for me to see things. It stinks to be over 40! Until the "resolution independence" function is available in Leopard, the HD is just too HD IMHO.

I would definitely recommend that you take a look at an HD model in the store before you buy one, and see what you think...

4. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

I have one, although not one of the HD ones. It really is more of a portable desktop for me. It spends 99% of the time on my desk, but its nice to be able to close it up and throw it in my backpack when I need to.

That said, if you're going to be taking it around a fair amount you might be better served with the 15" MBP and possibly get an external monitor if you really need the bigger screen. But if you're just going to have it on your desk most days, its nice to have it all in one package.

5. Maugustyn thread starter macrumors newbie

I have used an HD laptop screen before. i can see it fine(im 16) so i would diffenetly go for that.
    more feedback would be great.

6. eagle14 macrumors newbie

I personally don't find my 17inch mbp pro too big to carry around bout perfect size. most of the time i just move between rooms in the house with it closed or one handed like a waiter holds a tray, it was somewhat difficult to find a bag for it i got a 15inch laptop bag and stick it in the middle pocket and place my accessories like charger and bluetooth keyboard in the laptop part , i had about a day to get used to its size, i dont have a HD screen unfortunately since i got mine the revision before that but havent really had any complaints about the resolution . i use mine for video editing with hd tv as a second monitor for colour and occasional photoshopping and as a general use computer.

7. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

The Bigger, the Better!

I travel quite a bit and I take my 17 MBP everywhere! I have a smaller PBG4 to use, but I am hooked on the screen real estate. I have not seen the HD version yet, but don't let the bigger size scare you away.:):apple:

8. smochs macrumors newbie

I have had a 17" MBP for a year and a half now and love it. I carry it almost every day to my office ( I am a PhD student so am pretty mobile) as well as taking it on numerous flights and other trips. I don't think it is too heavy, but I am also very careful when transporting as I don't want to drop or bang it on something. I am thinking of upgrading my bag to offer a little more protection as I found out the expensive way that dents can become expensive.

I do love the real estate of the screen and so far have not been interested in using an external monitor. Pretty happy with the quality of screen but am interested in this HD screen (if only for LED).

9. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

When I bought my former MacBook Pro I was looking at a 15" but was considering a 17". The second I saw the 17" next to the 15" and how much dimmer its screen was, I knew I had to have the 15". In retrospect, the 17" would have been nice for screen space, but there were changes in my creative style that were unforeseeable (ie, HD video editing). Go for the 15" if you need to take it with you, go for the 17" if you might have to use it on battery for a little bit, or just buy an iMac and iLugger and take it with you (it's a possibility, I was thinking about one for my Mac Pro).

10. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

I have a 17" 2.5 SR High Res screen. I also carry my laptop with me daily and while it is of course bigger than a 15" I don't have any issue lugging it around from customer to customer. I will never get another get another laptop with a lower res after using this one for the last 5 months. I can no longer stand using my wife's macbook as I seem to always run out of real estate to quickly (of course 17" high res vs. 13.3" is bigger than the drop to the 15").