Anyone have a 3G that they only activate occasionally?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CAWjr, Mar 10, 2011.

1. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I am leaning towards the 3G version of the iPad 2, but I am questioning how much I would use it day to day. I know it would come in handy on road trips with the family or when I occasionally travel & get stuck in an airport, but I really see myself using it predominantly at home or work where I have WiFi available.

Does anyone have a 3G model (or plan to get one) simply for the occasional times throughout the year that you may want to use the service?

2. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I've never used my iPad 3G in that sense instead I just got the cheapest plan and used my home / work's WiFi. But during road trips I had to buy an addition 250MB to cover the trip.

3. Fireworld macrumors member

I'm getting the 3g model too because I'm going overseas. Anyone know if I'd be able to get a 1 month plan and be able to use it in Europe??

4. David R macrumors 6502

I got the 3G model as a safety blanket. I have probably activated it about 5 times in the past year. You never know when you may need it, like when you go to a conference and the WiFi is so saturated, you can't do anything, or you are on a road trip and bored out of your mind, or the power goes out, or you go somewhere that charges you money to use WiFi for 24 hours, etc, etc.

I activate it, then cancel it a day or two later and that way it doesn't auto-renew but it remains active for the rest of the 30 days.

If you have the extra money to spend, I strongly encourage you to consider the option. I'm glad I did.