Anyone have a 4k TV?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crzdcolombian, Jul 24, 2014.

1. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I sold my parents Sony Led tv that I bought them when they took a 4 month trip. They come home in 2 weeks. I was going to get them a new Samsung 40-48 inch LED smart tv for 600 or so then I started looking at the 4k tvs. I might just give them the Samsung I got 4 years ago that was like 1500 and get a 4k one. I saw a LG 55 inch for 1800 and a Samsung 50inch for 1800. The video quality looked out of this world but its the store :). My tv still looks great but the smart tv part has to be plugged into LAN. I want a actual wireless one. Was going to wait for the apple tv but their TV started acting funny so I sold it for cheap.

So what are your thoughts on 4k tvs. I just remember buying a Hdtv right before HDMI came out and remember how pissed I was that my tv only had dmi or whatever the computer cable was called.

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I was going to get a Sony 65" 4K TV last Xmas for $3,600 since it was the display model and they accidentally threw away all the box and manuals but had all the accessories - they were also giving a 2 year extended warranty with it.

Instead I ended up getting my current SHARP 70" 1080p on a black friday sale for $1,499 and no tax at the time = which is still a good price for the model I got at the time...

4K TV's are still too expensive and the content that makes them look so good is still too limited especially if your trying to stream 4K.

I'd wait at least 1 or 2 more years before jumping into 4K myself just to make sure it isn't such a "fad" like 3D TV turned out to be.:eek:

3. crzdcolombian thread starter macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I feel 1080p isn't even fully realized unless you watch avatar on blu ray or a piXzar movie. I think 4k is the future but like 5 years in. Blu ray hasn't even hit off like expected.

I am now deciding between a 40 inch samsung led 40 inch. Smartv is 520. Without only 400.

It needs to be 1080p and 120hz. Can't believe they are as cheap as they are

4. dukeblue219 macrumors member

Buy a really nice 1080P TV and save the extra $1000. You know how close you need to sit to a 4K TV to see any difference, even if you could find 4K content? I guess you could use it as a monitor for a computer but it would be unwieldy to sit in front of it.

Mark my words, 4K will be the next 3D -- nobody will buy it. 1080P is truly "good enough" for 99.9% of people and their human eyeballs.

5. jlabute macrumors regular

jlabute

Depends what you like to view...

I do not have a 4K TV, and I'm not really interested unless it is OLED or some technology that has a decent ANSI contrast ratio and excellent color balance. The latest Panasonic Plasma TVs... the VT and ZT models offer best picture quality you will ever see. LCD truly is crap. Unfortunately, these TV's are discontinued and these TVs are being sold off. If you are interested in best picture quality then get one while you can. If resolution is your only criteria, then it doesn't matter... get anything you want. My friends and I have a ZT.

http://www.cnet.com/products/panasonic-tc-p60zt60/

6. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

4K is useless for most TV viewing. Unless you sit very close to your TV or have a gargantuan screen size, 4K doesn't have a huge advantage.

Curved screens are another thing that doesn't make mush sense to me. Unless you sit so your view point is equidistant for any location on the screen, the point of the tech is lost. And it's a 2-D curvature; not 3-D LOL. If they could make a flexible screen that would allow the user to adjust the radius of the curvature, now that would be really innovative.

IMO 4K and 2-D curved screens are simple gimmicks so the oem's can keep a decent revenue stream. They are running out of fresh ideas. All in all relatively minor enhancements.
    :rolleyes:

7. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I have a LG 84" 4K TV. It perform a little bit better than what I expect.

The up scaling is quite good, even though for non-HD TV signal.

For Xbox 360 or PS3, the picture is definitely much better than my 55" HDTV. Again, the up scaling helps. Since a lot of games try to fully utilise the HDTV screen. It quite often that small text exist in modern games. Now, no more small text, everything is big and clear. Of course, this benefit is from the size of the TV, but not 4K. However, if it's not a 4K TV, the text may not looks that smooth.

The internal player handle 4K video very well. I use my Mac Pro as the media server and able to watch UHD 4K video. However, there is no 4K movie out there yet, only some demo video. Of course, I can enjoy gaming at 4K by the Mac Pro.

This is the very first 3D TV I've got. I don't like the active 3D technology, because the BT glasses make everything flickering. However, LG use Cinema 3D, which is a much better option for me. And here is the true power of my 4K TV. Since it use passive 3D technology, all image will be downgraded to 1080P (actually 3840x1080). And now, I can enjoy a 84" 1080P 3D movie with no flickering. Also, there is no limit on how many people watch 3D at the same time. All I need is just more glasses which only cost $1 per pair. I can let 10 kids watch 3D Frozen at the same time, and never worry that they will break the glasses.

In fact, the 4K TV act as a huge photo frame quite well. Since it can display 8 Mega pixel photos clearly. It makes the TV become a very good tool to display photos. And this is the time when people usually will stand right in front of the TV, pointing here, pointing there, but not watching the TV at the normal "optimum distance".

8. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

It's already exist.

LG 77" flexible 4K OLED TV

9. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Now that is something that interests me. Although it still isn't spherical.

10. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Why you would like to buy a 4K TV if there is no 4K content?

I have a HD TV I got last year and most of the content on TV still standard definition and the HD is very compressed. And I work at a TV station myself. I know how the networks compress the material and there is like an ok.....ish feeling about getting HD.

The cable providers literally sabotage/ reduce the bandwidth of SD to make the HD looks better.

So... why getting a 4K??? Wait 2 to 3 years at least. You will get 4K any way because there won't be any option but is like buying a car for a road that doesn't exist and by the time the roads are complete your car is already outdated.