Anyone have a 6 plus and the rMB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alex.pickett, May 13, 2015.

1. alex.pickett macrumors newbie

To me it seems like the 6 plus and rMB would be the perfect pair. Anyone own both? Is there anything that you feel is missing between the two devices? I currently have a late 2010 13" MBA, 1st gen retina iPad, and 5S. I will have a rMB soon and am thinking of upgrading to the 6S+ this fall.

2. thitiv macrumors member

My 6+ and an rMB are physically with me always. Got an iPad Air from office but rarely carry it along. The screen of the 6+ is big enough to substitute an iPad. For serious readings and 'office' tasks and even movies the rMB excels. To me the iPad is not worth carrying along anymore.

3. thadoggfather, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015

thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

6+, rMini, rMB.

biggest iPhone, smallest pad/computer. iOS devices jailbroken, OS X is already opened up by its very nature of being a computer os.. oh and all Space grey.

Works well :D

4. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

5. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

No, I honestly feel it's the ultimate mobility pairing. When I had my 5s I use to take my iPad with me all the time, since the 6+ I leave it at home. The rMB will be coming with me.

----------

Do you take all 3 with you everywhere? The rMB has me wondering what I'm going to do with the iPad going forward.

I won't be travelling with it anymore, the 6+ is good enough but the iPad is better for some stuff when I'm home.

Not sure what I would buy today.

6. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

iPad is good while phone is charging and sometimes for consuming.

more often than not, iPad gets least love. but i don't care, i still won't toss it for a little amount of cash, it has its merits.

I almost never bring my iPad out and about. didn't before then though either, my 6+ takes care of on the go IOS needs

7. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Have my 6+ now.

Waiting for my rMB.

Great combination!

8. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Got my macbook today... thinking about getting the 6s+ when it comes out. Still trying to figure out if it's too big.

9. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502

It's the dream setup, I'm not going to lie. I had a 5s, iPad Mini Retina, and a 13" MacBook Pro and now I've got the 6+ and retina MacBook and haven't missed the iPad mini or less screen real estate on the retina MacBook at all. It actually seems like much more screen because the bezels are so thin. Its almost double the screen size, battery capacity, and actually size haha. Sweet combo for sure! It's all I'll ever need that's for sure.

10. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502

They are also both 1080P with the retina MacBook going a touch past that and are arguably the best peforming LCD panels that Apple makes. Wicked combo!

11. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Yes me. It is a perfect setup. Don't need any other gadgets - iPads and :apple:Watches be damned :)

|
    |
    |
    V

12. SamR123 macrumors member

SamR123

I'm using this combo too and I think it's rather perfect. Still early days though so we'll see. I'm amazed by how similar in size they are! I hear myself thinking "that's a small computer" and "my phone is giant" all the time now haha.

13. Kristine macrumors 6502a

I'm using this combination. Perfect for my needs.

14. rahulr macrumors regular

I had the exact same setup. I never use the iPad anymore and have sold the rMBP. Since April 24 my phone has been docked most days though and I answer most calls on my watch or through handoff on the rMB

15. Dubba macrumors regular

This is my ideal scenario... I just got my rMB in SpaceGrey, and once my iPhone 5S dies, I will move to the 6s+ - or more likely the 7+. Can't wait.

At the moment I have the rMB, 5s and iPad Mini... but I am rarely using my iPad anymore... and once the 6s+ / 7+ comes along, that will definitely kill the use of the iPad mini.

16. Banquo's Ghost macrumors newbie

It was my hope that the rMB and 6+ would prove to be the ideal travel/productivity pairing for my business and so it has proven.

My iPad now stays at home as a casual web browsing device. It won't be renewed (though we buy 30+ of them for the guides taking groups round the house - it's still an excellent machine for demonstrations and passive information).

17. MyopicPaideia, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015

MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

This must be a very personal choice, because I got the 6+ over the 6 because I wanted the longer battery life and the OIS in the camera. It was my intention that I would use my phone more...

The problem I found with the 6+ was that I am a phone in my front pants/jeans pocket guy. It was always in the way, or uncomfortable when crouching down or bending over, putting on shoes, etc. In the end, I couldn't justify it, because the screen wasn't large enough to make it that much better for doing things on, reading, web browsing, etc. I was excited for the landscape mode on the 6+ for apps but after a while it actually just became irritating instead, with UI buttons compromised, and the dual column space making it seem actually more cramped that it actually was. I actually found myself using my phone less because using it in portrait mode like one has been used to with the smaller iPhone's was a pain, and using it in landscape mode was unsatisfying compared to the iPad mini.

The iPad mini size hit that sweet spot for me, and has done since the first non-retina mini was released. I found the iPad to be slightly too large for easy typing and true on the fly one-handed use. So when the MB was announced I used it as an excuse to go back to a similar setup that was my favorite personal gadget setup (11" MBA, iPad mini, iPhone 5) and gave the 6+ to my wife (she's a phone in her purse person, and has always coveted my 6+ anyway) sold her 6 (both gold) and got myself a new SG 6. Have also sold my iPad Air 2 and ordered a new SG iPad mini 3.

All this is with the background that the iPad has replaced the laptop form factor in my life for my own personal computing device since March 2011 when I came home from a USA trip with 2 iPad 2's, one for me and one for the wife. They are both still in use as our kids each have one of them now. Gaming, light personal level productivity like budgeting and vacation planning, family calendar and schedules of events, personal banking, email, photos, home videos, social media, Christmas and birthday cards to relatives, the household's music and movie/TV show library consumption, it is the perfect device IMHO. iPhone is nice to just take out of your front pocket and do a quick thing or two with, but iPad is just better in almost every way for all of the things I mentioned above.

The laptop form factor with OS X is my professional purposes only machine, so for me the use case don't overlap at all - although, I do bring my iPad when I go to clients, because I can pass it around in a conference room showing a PDF from Dropbox of a management report or KPI analysis presentation, Org chart, or other similar document while I go through it on my laptop with them. That about the only overlap, but actually in the iPad's favour.

So - MB for my professional device, iPad mini 3 for my personal device, and iPhone 6 as the ultra portable for both personal and professional use...and as my phone. ;) For me, it is the ideal combination.

Obviously not everyone will feel the same!

18. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

That's along the lines of what I thought as well, but for me it didn't turn out that way... :( YMMV of course!

19. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

Kind of have this. rMBP and 6+.

I got rid of my retina mini and don't miss it a bit but...

I have a windows machine for gaming downloading and general abuse. :D

I do love the 6+. 6 day battery with all the usual app usage.

20. judethat macrumors 6502

judethat

I've got the 6+ and rMB - sold iPad mini and rMBP and very happy with this combo. Have the iPad Air for around the house. Perfect in my opinion. Best MacBook I have owned as I do not hesitate to put it in my bag over the iPad whereas I did with the rMBP.

21. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Great post. I do think the 6+ and the rMB can be the perfect combo, but not for me at least. I love the size of the 6, and I wouldn't give that up to have a bigger phone just so I can go without an iPad. The 6+ to me feels awkward, where as the 6 is the perfect size much like I feel like the rMB is the perfect size for a laptop. I'd much have what I feel is the perfect size on both, iPad or no iPad.

I currently have the iPhone 6, iPad Mini 2, and the rMB. So basically the same set up as you. But what you said about the iPad being better for gaming, light personal level productivity, photos, videos, etc. - those are all things I prefer to do on OS X. Even when I had the rMBP. I don't know why, I just prefer using a desktop OS for those things. I don't mind using my iPhone for those things, though. So that's why I am strongly considering dropping the iPad. I actually used to use my iPad pretty heavily for those things, but not in the past 1-2 years. It's more of a nice-to-have thing in rare moments, such as when I read PDFs.

So I think the 6 and rMB could be a good combo as well.

22. ZipZap macrumors 601

It would be perfect if ATT would let me hotspot my iPhone unlimited data plan.

23. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I've got this combo as well. My iPad is neglected.

24. WildcatJon macrumors member

Exactly my situation. Love the rmb. And now have the watch to boot.