Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirContumacious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
I'm about to get one from Verizon, I do believe. I know that the software is horrible right now, but the patches are about to be released. Supposedly, that should fix any problems.

My question, however, is can I use the Blackberry software with Mac? I have not found any yeh or ney information, so any input would be much appreciated. If you can use software with Mac, how have the experiences been? In general, not limited to the Storm. Thank you.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Your not going to like this answer but I have to be honest about it. I have the Bold currently along with a iPhone 3G and all Macs in the house. There is no desktop manager for the Mac. You will need to run Windows in order to use the RIM Desktop Manager. There are a few 3rd party apps that will allow you to sync with a Mac but each is unreliable and don't work very well. Missing Sync and Pocket Mac.

For what it's worth, we have been hearing about the new software release since the Storm came out and it's still not available other than Beta. I would recommend just about any new BB to a person other than the Storm. I have not been impressed with it at all and those who I know who have them feel the same way. Maybe the next gen will be better.
What is drawing you to the Storm?

SirContumacious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Thank you tremendously for the feedback. I actually felt the exact same way as you did, about ten days ago.

However, I recently got to use a "patched" Storm.. with the official software updates due in 1 week (confirmed). I'll tell you one thing, that sucker is fast. I've used nearly every smartphone/blackberry on the market, and now that the patches are on the phone and within the desktop software, all is well.

Now since I first posted this thread I went to my local mac retailer. He actually had the Storm and was syncing it on the mac. I was blown away. He is a beta tester for the new RIM Mac Desktop software. I got to play around with it for a little bit, it was sick! So fast, looked exactly like an app mac. He even showed me how to get the storm to look like a mini OS X, with the dock. Not sure if I would do that or not, but it was cool and operated smoothly.

I might just get one, but I think I'll wait until the Mac software is out..

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
DM for Mac

Tell me more about the RIM Desktop Manager for the Mac? Does it do the same function as the Windows version. Can you update the handheld OS or just sync it?

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Hot off the presses, well on April Fools day actually.
j54.gif

http://www.blackberrynews.com/2009/04/01/official-app-world-press-release-from-rim/

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Bummed

The app store does not excite me unless they are going to sell an Application like the desktop manager that allows you to sync with a Mac and is full featured like the Windows version of the desktop manager.

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Now since I first posted this thread I went to my local mac retailer. He actually had the Storm and was syncing it on the mac. I was blown away. He is a beta tester for the new RIM Mac Desktop software. I got to play around with it for a little bit, it was sick! So fast, looked exactly like an app mac.

Sorry to bump a 2 month old thread, but can you give any more info on this? Did you get any timetable or hints at how development is coming? I ask because one year ago I gave RIM 12 months to get a decent desktop manager to us, and I am <<THIS>> close to ordering an iPhone. I would rather save my money until next year when I am upgrade-pricing eligible, but if it doesn't look like RIM will have anything going very soon I may have to go ahead and jump on a 3G S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.