anyone have a clear bra? (on their car)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, Oct 18, 2010.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Anyone have a clear bra on their car?

If so, how do you like it? Would you do it again, and was it worth the price?

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I was fully expecting a discussion about see through brasseries.

How disappointing.

3. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This thread is a massive disappointment to me.

Oh and car "bras" of all sorts, colours, types and of any conceivable sort are hideous.

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

With pics too! What a disappointment.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

indeed.....what is the point in buying a nice looking car and putting a bra on it.......might as well just buy an ugly car in the first place

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Coming soon, brown paper bags for ugly cars. Eye holes included.

8. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Nice Personality Standard on all models. Great Body on the upgraded package.*

*Tax, tag, title not included. Rear end subject to change over time.

9. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

The point of a clear bra, at least as far as I understand it is to prevent rock chips and other debris from damaging the front and hood of a new car.

The hood of my current vehicle had a ton of rock chips in it after two years...

10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

But the bra makes your car look so much more hideous (and frankly stupid) than rock chips do. Chips are character, they mean you USE your car. Just seal them and don't worry so much, unless you're worried about resale value, in which case you shouldn't have left the dealership to begin with.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The cars I have seen with the clear bra on it did not look to bad. At a distance of 10ft or so you could not really set it unless you were looking for it. It is a sure as hell a lot better than those big blackones you see.

I know the frount of my car has a lot of rock chips in it and the paint job is not even 2 years old yet and stronger paint than factory crap.
    Clear bra would stop it. I mostly just use touch up paint and fill it in. Even less noticable than the car bra

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think what the OP means is something similar to an Invisible Shield for a car. I know a couple of people who live in areas where it snows frequently in the winter and they have this film professionally installed on their cars in the front back and sometimes on the side panels. This doesn't look bad, but if the OP meant an actual bra but clear instead of black then I think they're hideous.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

:eek: Oh no you didn't!!!! lol

14. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. I might be getting a new vehicle in a few weeks, and I am interested in keeping it looking new as long as I can.

The last new car I had ended up getting some pretty serious road rash after a year or so on the grill, bumper and hood....

15. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

16. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

My X3 had a clear film on the front that I guess you would call a bra. You coudn't tell it was there unless you got within 3' or so. It was great. No rock chips, but no ugly traditional bra either. It covered the bumper and about 1 foot up on the hood and maybe 6" back on the sides behind the headlight area.

17. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I didn't like it at first but I love it. Bugs and tar clean off easily and the protection is good.
    An experience installer will make a big difference

18. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I have heard (from my cousin, who worked at an auction where he saw a lot of cars) that the traditional bra tends to admit fine grit that ends up sanding on the paint over time. Combine that with the color difference (from sun fade) and you might as well just count on never taking it off unless you want a crappy looking car.

Therefore, I plan to develop The Flame Bra!