Anyone have a Elgato HDHomeRun?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ravenvii, Jul 15, 2008.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm drooling over Elgato's HDHomeRun. But I'd like to hear real experiences. How is the quality over Wi-Fi? Does the HDHomeRun have to be connected by ethernet, or can it connect to the network wirelessly?

And all-in-all, should I get this? Or go with the Hybrid or the 250 Plus?

And a sort of related question... how often does Elgato update their products? When is the time they usually update their products? I'm wondering because I don't want to buy the HDHomeRun too close to a possible upcoming update.

2. Ozz.Man macrumors member

I am far from answering this actual question, but I own the Elgato Hybrid. My feelings towards it are very mixed.

1. Mine shipped with software version 2.0, yet 3.0 had been out for six months. Though I got a free link to an upgrade, I hated the fact I paid $130 and had to burn the expensive software to a disk.

2. This thing occasionaly quits with "no signal". Tech support was three days to answer, but listed a lengthy email with possible causes. Running "disk permission repair" was the solution that fixes it. The problem? This has to be done at least weekly. Very annoying.

3. The quality is great, if you want to run at a 4" X 4" window. Anything else is stretched and looks poor. So try watching TV on your 24" iMac from 10' away without blocks is horrid.

The good?

Rips TV shows and the software converts to almost any format. I choose iPhone format, and have almost every George Lopez episode :D plus they look killer on the phone. I am talking HD quality:rolleyes:

The software is great. It has a very friendly editor that allows you to remove commercials then export. I can set to record just like Tivo and leave it be.

Hope this bit helps for choosing the company

3. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

I recently just purchased the HDHR from El Gato about 2 months ago. I love the thing! I have disconnected Dishnetwork and went with an antenna to recieve OTA tv stations, then I can view tv on my Imac, and my wife can watch what she wants on her macbook.

My Imac is wired with gigabit, and her macbook is wireless with N. When I first got it, it worked beautifully on my imac, not so well on her macbook. It kept stuttering, and skipping. I contacted their support and they werent to helpful. I asked about if eye tv was a very ram intensive program, to which they led me to an article about memory leaks. The macbook originally had 1gb of ram, so I upped it to 4gbs, and it works beautifully now! Although I do get signal loss due to my antenna being crappy, and inside my house. Shortly I will get a rooftop antenna and get it hooked up.

I do enjoy it though!