Anyone have a fitbit?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by carjakester, Jan 17, 2014.

1. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i just got mine today, i already have my 5s that tracks steps and whatnot. but I'm looking forward to the sleep tracking and silent alarm with the bracelet. I have the flex.

2. obeygiant, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

hell yeah. I have the fitbit one and I really like it. My wife has the flex and she loves it because its waterproof.

*whispers* although I think the flex over estimates your steps because it resides on the wrist.
    but I'll let my wife win our step "battles".

[​IMG]

My 5k run in the morning ends up around 5500 steps

We also have the Aria scale which works really well. Its on the wifi network and updates your account within seconds of being weighed.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Do any of these things wake you when you're not in REM sleep? Or do they wake you at a set time like a normal alarm clock?

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I think you just set the time you want it to wake you up.

5. three, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

three macrumors 6502a

three

I've had a Fitbit Flex for a couple months now, it's pretty awesome! I LOVE the week in review emails, the email reminders saying the battery is almost dead, etc.

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I don't have a fitbit but I have the Withings Pulse (similar to fitbit), Scale, and Blood Pressure monitor. I also use myfitnesspal's free app to monitor my food intake. The Withings app talks to the Myfitnesspal app and the other way around too.

I found out pretty quick that I get almost no potassium day to day which was actually pretty helpful!

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Potassium is great for counteracting sodium intake. I've now become a big fan of sweet potato mash/fries because of it. Bananas aren't my fave.

8. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I had the "Zip". Nice little product. HR at my work gave me the first one...lost it in about 3 months. I bought the 2nd one through work for $50...lost that one in about 2 months. I'm giving up on it for the time being, lol.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Exactly. I didn't know I had low/nil potassium in my diet and I didn't know I had a mildly high sodium diet. Tracking my intake showed me those things and when I looked up what potassium was good for, it told me just that. Overall a win with very little effort.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have the iOS app MotionX 24/7: Sleep Cycle Alarm, Snore, Apnea, Heart Rate Monitor, Weight Loss, Activity Tracker app. (What a name!)

I like what it does for sleep. It monitors your sleeping habits much the same as some of the other apps and devices mentioned above, but it also will wake you when you've been out of REM sleep for several minutes and within 30 minutes of your desired wake time. That way you wake up refreshed and not groggy and tired like when a regular alarm goes off and you're still in REM sleep.

The only catch is that you have to put the iPhone on the bed or under the pillow with you so it can track your sleep via your body motion. I'm not too keen on doing that as I don't want to break my phone accidentally.

I'd really prefer one of these wrist band things that does the same thing and wakes you while you're in light sleep within a set period of time near your desired wake time.

11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You might try this: http://sleepyti.me/

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's cool; I'll try that. Thanks!

13. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

you set an alarm like you would normally but it vibrates instead of ringing, much more peaceful to wake up to.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Agreed that it must be better than a blaring alarm. But I wish it also selectively woke you up during a light sleep pattern as well.

15. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I use my iPhone as an alarm and have a song that starts quietly and slowly gets louder that is used for my wakeup.

16. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

Theres an app called sleep cycle that does that. Would be cool if you could link the fitbit too the app

17. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That would be nice. I have a similar app noted above in post #10 that does what I want in a wrist band but on the iPhone instead.

18. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

Yeah thats exactly what sleep cycle does

19. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Been rocking a Fitbit Force since just after Christmas and really like it. I made the annual 'better fitness and nutrition new year resolutions' and the Force makes me much more conscious of my efforts. I find it easier to eat healthier when I'm actively logging my food on a daily basis as well.

Wife ended up being intrigued by it and decided to pick one up herself--a little competition makes it all the more fun. ;)

20. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I have a FitBit Force I use for tracking everyday stuff and a Garmin Forerunner 220 that I use for running. I was on the fence about the Force but it has grown on me, its nice to be able to see the day in a whole. It's not perfect, but its a nice tool to help you figure out your overall activity and adjust your lifestyle as needed.

Other than getting massive steps I never saw any benefit during my running training, some use it for cadence monitoring but my Forerunner 220 has a built in accelerometer for cadence and with Garmin's graphs and stats it beats the fitbit hands down when it comes to run training.

21. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

I had the fitbit force but ended up returning it after just a few days. The band sucked. I don't know what they were thinking when they made that band. As for the tracking it was not accurate at all. It either didn't track my steps correctly (too many or not enough) or it wouldn't track anything during certain activities. Overall disappointed considering how much the thing was. And the silent alarm? Please. I slept through the vibration every single time.

22. DarthVader! macrumors member

DarthVader!

How does the fitbit compare to the nike version. I like the visual feedback on the Nike fuelband. I'm a runner so I'm not sure how well either product will fit my needs.

23. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

I'm pretty sure the nike version doesnt track anything, the more it movies you get "fuel"points. whatever those are.

24. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Fitbit

Any Fitbit users amongst the community?

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'm on step number 6,772. :)