Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarah11918

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Canada
So far really like it.

Congrats. :)

One tip I read on a Note forum somewhere: If your note is plugged in and charging, always wake and unlock it first before disconnecting the power cable. Something to do with setting a baseline for battery consumption, and doing so is supposed to make the battery discharge more slowly.

Not sure whether it's making a difference, but I keep doing it anyway. :)

pdauser92

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
London, UK
Well I went and picked up the Galaxy Note this evening. I figured with AT&T's 30 day return policy, I'd give it a shot until I hear a little more about the iPhone.

So far really like it. Just have to get used to the whole accounts thing since its much different than iOS

I use both IOS and Android devices and find the following useful:

To sync your data you could try MyPhoneExplorer, which will sync Outlook or Gmail calendars, Outlook or Gmail tasks and Outlook notes as well as files with your phone. You can sync either wirelessly or via USB.

To sync your music, video, playlists and podcasts with iTunes try Isyncr, which will also sync via WIFI or USB.

:)

BuckeyeMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
So I ended up taking back the GNote but now I'm regretting taking it back lol

I can't freaking decide new iPhone or GNote...I really want Siri, and the integration into iOS. But the Note has widgets, and bigger screens. And the iPhone is the only apple product I own. Grr

My 3Gs gets 4-4:15 of heavy use...i wish I tested the G Note longer :(

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010

I can't freaking decide new iPhone or GNote...I really want Siri, and the integration into iOS. But the Note has widgets, and bigger screens. And the iPhone is the only apple product I own. Grr

Just wait for the new galaxy note and compare it with the rumors with the new iphone. you cant test out the new note like you did with the one you returned so just be patient.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Thanks for the replies...The size issue is really the only thing that I am concerned with

I don't have any other Apple products other than my iPhone, and I'm on my iPhone for I'd say about 6 hours a day. I'm just looking for something that is easier to use to browse the web and make my daily life easier.

Anyone else have any insight?

I was also looking at the Galaxy SII Skyrocket. Thoughts on that one?

Galaxy Nexus 2

sarah11918

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Canada

That would be quite low for a Note. I haven't done a test to see how long it goes at intensive use, but then again, it's never run out on me unless I pick it up to find it's only at 15 - 30% charged because I left it lying around not charging. From fully charged, it's never run out in the course of using it yet.

Of course, that's nothing compared to my older Nokia E71 smartphone that I charged 1 - 2 times per week, but it's still comforting to know that as long as I remember to charge the Note, it's not going to run out on me.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011

I'm planning to go for the Note2 when it's out. The two things holding me off from iPhone are i) screen size and ii) lack of predictive text. I think the Note is a great size - although I've also been drawn to the SG3. Like you, I'd love the integration, but it just takes me too long to type with Apple's keyboard.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Thanks for the replies...The size issue is really the only thing that I am concerned with

I don't have any other Apple products other than my iPhone, and I'm on my iPhone for I'd say about 6 hours a day. I'm just looking for something that is easier to use to browse the web and make my daily life easier.

Anyone else have any insight?

I was also looking at the Galaxy SII Skyrocket. Thoughts on that one?

Might I suggest the Galaxy S3? I have found it VERY pleasant to surf on and do web related things, the screen is amazing, battery life is good and it does fit comfortably in the hand. Despite my initial concerns, the phone is not too big.

I find it NOT a pocket phone, but I am also female and our pockets seem to be smaller than males for some reason.

sarah11918

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Canada
IMO, the two real reasons to seriously consider a Note over a different, not-quite-as-big Android phone are:

1. You want the stylus integration and/or
2. You want a mini-tablet instead of a real pocket phone.

If those are features/benefits you care about, especially #1, then the Note is a no-brainer for your shortlist, and probably worth taking a chance on those two points alone.

I suspect most people don't care too much about the pen (though it's the main reason I bought one). I also suspect a lot of people are of the "I think I can deal with the size" mindset instead of the "bring on the phablet!" one. These are the people that I'd caution not to get swept up in the novelty of the device.

Any phone is going to annoy you at some point for something. With this phone, you'll be able to console yourself with, "This is what I needed to get a real, actual pen" and "This is big enough to make surfing/email/twitter/reading feel more like I'm on a tablet than I'm on a phone." If those aren't compelling statements for you, and aren't going to remind you what's great about your phone, then this might not be the phone for you.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Might I suggest the Galaxy S3? I have found it VERY pleasant to surf on and do web related things, the screen is amazing, battery life is good and it does fit comfortably in the hand. Despite my initial concerns, the phone is not too big.

I find it NOT a pocket phone, but I am also female and our pockets seem to be smaller than males for some reason.

That's what I was thinking. If you want a bigger size and want the Android experience and speed, the Galaxy S3 is a great device that would be a good compromise. But it sounds like Siri is a the deal breaker here, but the GS3 is worth a look. I just traded for a Note and love it. The screen size is great. I also happen to wear pants with big pockets, so the size and mobility isn't an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.