Anyone have a glass screen protector on their ip5?

solo118

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2011
I have seen a couple of Glass screen protectors. One from Spigen one from Bodyguardz.

I was curious if anyone had installed one, and what their impressions are? It looks like a good choice compared to a standard screen protector from Spigen, or Powersupport (they dont have them in stock yet)

If anyone can advise I would greatly appreciate it!

jcliden

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
San Diego
There's a whole thread on the Spigen's GLAS.t screen protector: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1311957

I used them for my iPhone 4 and I loved them. I used other screen protectors before (Zagg, powersupport) and tho I MUCH prefer powersupport over Zagg (hated that plastic-y feel), can't beat the look and feel of glass. I had it for over a year with no problems. Got MINOR scratches that are only noticeable under certain light. The one concern with the GLAS.t is that you only get one shot at install so you better make sure there are no dusts underneath and you line it up right. You can't lift it back up like other plastic sp. It does recess the home button a bit but I use home button stickers so that's no problem for me.

Spigen GLAS.t: http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/apple-iphone/iphone-5/iphone5-oleophobic-coated-tempered-glass-glas-t.html

solo118

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2011
There's a whole thread on the Spigen's GLAS.t screen protector: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1311957

I used them for my iPhone 4 and I loved them. I used other screen protectors before (Zagg, powersupport) and tho I MUCH prefer powersupport over Zagg (hated that plastic-y feel), can't beat the look and feel of glass. I had it for over a year with no problems. Got MINOR scratches that are only noticeable under certain light. The one concern with the GLAS.t is that you only get one shot at install so you better make sure there are no dusts underneath and you line it up right. You can't lift it back up like other plastic sp. It does recess the home button a bit but I use home button stickers so that's no problem for me.

Spigen GLAS.t: http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/apple-iphone/iphone-5/iphone5-oleophobic-coated-tempered-glass-glas-t.html

Awesome info. Thanks.

Do you think bodyguardz is similar? They are offering me 50% off.

brokenbuyer

macrumors regular
May 7, 2011
Read up reviews on the Pure. I went w. the Pure just cuz of their discount. From the reviews I've read, it seems that the Pure is more resistant to fingerprints and in a way makes the Retina display even clearer.

My biggest concern is the glass chipping on the sides (I won't be using a case), not sure if this is a problem with the Pure, but the Glas.T has issues with this.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
I've got my Pure, still need to install it. I took it out and played with it though and was surprised it is flexible. I don't see it shattering and it looks awesome, but I am afraid of botching the install so I've been putting off installing it lol.

photo.JPG

macsoc

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Just installed the bodyguardz Pure about 5 minutes ago. Followed the directions, watched the videos they have on youtube to make sure I was doing it right. It's truly amazing - really does offer great protection and visually screen is as clear, crisp as it was before the install. Install was easier than all the spraying I usually do with some of the other skin's I have applied.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
Just installed the bodyguardz Pure about 5 minutes ago. Followed the directions, watched the videos they have on youtube to make sure I was doing it right. It's truly amazing - really does offer great protection and visually screen is as clear, crisp as it was before the install. Install was easier than all the spraying I usually do with some of the other skin's I have applied.
Nice can you please take some pics if possible?

I should install mine, maybe tomorrow haha

solo118

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Awesome info. Going to place my order in the next hour or so.

jazoi

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
In regards to the Bodyguardz Pure, I have an Incipio Frequency case I like to use. Would that case still fit with the Pure installed? Would any?

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
Good to see other manufacturers making glass screen protectors.

I have the SGP Glas.t and it's amazing. I 100% recommend it.

EDIT: Wow!! The bodyguardz offers replacements for $13. That's a great selling point.

robotphood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349495199.028334.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349495215.011038.jpg

I tried to take the best pics I could but it was pretty hard to get a good shot of the protector itself. Did a steamy room install and came out nearly perfect, 2 tiny dust particles around the home button. Good enough. I had a bit of bubbling on 2 edges that I couldn't get to stick down. But they are almost gone now after a few hours. Clarity is superb as well as the oleophobic coating. Very smooth (more than the naked screen), glides like butter. Very satisfied. My gf wants one now for her 4S.

UPDATE: all bubbles are gone after a day. There were a couple along the edge I didn't think would disappear but they did.

Last edited: