Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nowaymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
When I try to use CUDA I get a playback problem where I see black on the program monitor instead of my footage. When I hit play I can see my footage, but then when I pause it goes black again. Sooner or later (within minutes) Premiere always crashes.

I'm suspicious that it's my Nvidia GTX 570 from macvidcards that is the culprit but I'm not sure. Here is my setup:

MacPro 5,1
2x3.46 GHz 6-core intel xeon
64gb ram
nvidia gtx 570 1280mb
Proavio/Arecca Raid 1400mb/s read & write

Could it be the new mountain lion os that is the culprit? Also, I never did a clean install. I did a clone from a previous system. Could that be the problem?

Anyone have a GTX 570 running Premiere with CUDA successfully on a mac or have other suggestions?:confused:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Did you do the OpenCl fix?

When I try to use CUDA I get a playback problem where I see black on the program monitor instead of my footage. When I hit play I can see my footage, but then when I pause it goes black again. Sooner or later (within minutes) Premiere always crashes.

I'm suspicious that it's my Nvidia GTX 570 from macvidcards that is the culprit but I'm not sure. Here is my setup:

MacPro 5,1
2x3.46 GHz 6-core intel xeon
64gb ram
nvidia gtx 570 1280mb
Proavio/Arecca Raid 1400mb/s read & write

Could it be the new mountain lion os that is the culprit? Also, I never did a clean install. I did a clone from a previous system. Could that be the problem?

Anyone have a GTX 570 running Premiere with CUDA successfully on a mac or have other suggestions?:confused:

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
Have you tried it with the card the Mac Pro shipped with? ie 5770 or 5870? If the crash happens when using one of those standard cards, then it would point to a card issue I guess ...

And have you queried the card supplier? They may know of the problem if it is card related, and maybe a fix ...

nowaymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
What I've tried

So I decided to do a brand new clean install of Mountain Lion. I *think* it's working better now. The black screens ARE GONE!!! YAY! but I have one project that still likes to crash. SAD FACE Would anyone with a MacPro be willing to try out this project on their end and see if it crashes? It's very small (only the size of a sequence).

Crash happens when I am scrubbing through my timeline using a sequence created from a FCP xml. Scrubbing is fine everwhere except when I scrub at the end of the project @ 29 seconds or so. I've removed everything from the timeline and it still crashes.

The settings are a bit unique. I edit RED footage in FCP and then would like to edit the xml in Premiere but something about it trips it up. Here is a screen shot of the settings:

http://oi48.tinypic.com/33vc6z6.jpg

Sony XDcam at this resolution isn't even an option. I tried creating a Custom or RED sequence with the same resolution and fps and it doesn't crash. Just this buggy sequence from FCP!?

Also, I haven't updated Adobe yet. I'm hoping the playback issues won't return once I do.

Last edited:

nowaymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Have you tried it with the card the Mac Pro shipped with? ie 5770 or 5870? If the crash happens when using one of those standard cards, then it would point to a card issue I guess ...

And have you queried the card supplier? They may know of the problem if it is card related, and maybe a fix ...

I no longer own my original ATI card. Does that even work with the CUDA hack?

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA

I can almost 100% guarantee you it's nothing you're doing wrong, nor is it due to any of the hardware you have in your Mac. CS6 is a hellaciously buggy POS (piece of software... or something else) on Macs at the moment. I use it at home and it crashes, lags badly when editing AVCHD, etc. Running CS5.5 is far smoother and more usable.

Adobe just released CS6.0.2 yesterday, but it's not clear it actually fixed any of the crashing issues on the Mac. If you haven't updated, please do so, and try again. It likely won't fix your problem, but it's worth a shot.

jas

degl

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2010
Caracas
I have a 2009 Nehalem with the firmware upgrade to 5,1. 32GB of Ram and a MSI GTX570 1.2GB, all day uses , sometimes a occasional crash but no problem on Premiere Pro CS6 whatsoever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.