Anyone have a home made car dock for their ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by andyACEcandy, Feb 28, 2008.

1. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to think of ways to stand my iPod Touch up vertically on my dashboard...

Anyone ever do this? It doesn't have to be pretty, just need to get the job done

And no I will not super glue it down haha

2. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Kensington Car Mount for iPod
    Apple Store Link

[​IMG]

Description
    Secure your iPod or MP3 player in place while you drive with the Kensington Car Mount. Its flexible arm positions your iPod in view without taking up space or blocking dashboard controls. The adjustable, padded cradle holds your iPod without scratching. And there's no installation—the unique suction mount grips tightly, yet releases quickly by lifting a lever.

EDIT: I just saw that you said "Home made Dock"
    Well, the only thing I can come up with right now is using the plastic thing that the iPod touch rests on in the packaging. Put something on the back to attach to your car and make sure to put some things on the front so your iPod doesn't fall out.

Ugh, I cannot explain anything!
    =P

3. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm thats a pretty good idea.... ur talkin bout that black tray thing it comes in right?

hmm what could i put in front so the ipod doesnt fall out......... but at the same time, not block the screen

4. dickovski macrumors regular

dickovski

I use velcro. Cheap, simple and very heath robinson. I do drive a 35 year old battered bus though;).

5. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Sure, the black tray thing.

I said clear plastic thing because that's what iPhone's come on and I assumed Touches had the same thing.

You can always put legos on the sides or something (Long live Legos!!!)
    You'll figure it out though.
    :D

6. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

this is very simple. Just buy a adjustable cell phone hoder that fits in the vent clip. There are so many items out there to use.

7. MunnyGuy macrumors member

Proclip USA makes AWESOME units. You buy the base made for your make and model of car and then you select the holder for your electronic device.

Here is the one for the Touch with swivel base:

[​IMG]

You can see all the areas you can choose to mount your Touch in this pic (could be different for your car)

[​IMG]

You can find there site here:

http://www.proclipusa.com/home/home.aspx

I have owned these products for my old Palm Treo, and now have one for my Garmin Nuvi 660.

I am just a happy customer.

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That looks really cool!

9. sebast1anc macrumors member

i use apple's universal dock to stand mine up on my dashboard and i set it on one of those little rubber non-slip things. then you can use the apple remote to change tracks.

10. Solesk macrumors member

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23146431@N08/

pictures are in the link. i did alot of searching and did not find exactly what i wanted. so i took part of the proclip, dice, and a third one and put them all together to get what i'm using.

proclip works well, but it doesnt have a bottom to the dock, so you gotta use cables and such. which i didnt like.