Anyone Have A Light Leak - By Volume Buttons?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by meagain, Jul 16, 2008.

1. meagain macrumors 68030

I have 2 phones in the house with light leaks by the volume button. Both different build weeks.

One phone has a beautiful display and everything else perfect. I'm afraid to return it for fear of getting something worse. Has anyone gotten these and has anyone who can't deal with returning it - have an idea to block it? It wouldn't take much. I'm not sure what's going on in there though but since it's by the volume buttons, I fear it'll get worse over time.

2. View macrumors regular

If everything else is perfect, then I wouldn't return it.
    Light leak is, imo, not a defect.

3. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I do as well, right next to the silver bezel near the volume buttons. I hadnt even noticed it until I read this post and can only see it when I tilt the phone at certain angles. I also couldnt tell whether it was a light leak or just a portion of the bezel that was glaring.

In any case, Im not returning. I love my phone, especially now that I have a nicely calibrated battery and can live with a slight light leak or a few specs of dust on the very bottom near the home button, neither of which are that noticeable. My luck I would wind up with a worse phone and I admit that Im already sentimentally attached to this one ;)

4. Sherb macrumors member

YES! I am calling about about it now. But mine goes down the entire left side... not just by the volume buttons.

5. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

If all of your light leaks out, do you get free refills? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist!

6. meagain thread starter macrumors 68030

My first light leak was quite bad. This is very narrow and when looking at it straight on, can't see it. Since the display is superior to my other phone, I'll not return Mr. Light Leak. :( I'll end up going downhill for sure.

I just hope it's not something that'll get worse in time with pushing constantly on the volume buttons.

7. Sherb macrumors member

So, have you gotten a phone replaced for this before?

8. meagain thread starter macrumors 68030

My phone was. It was replaced by a non-light leak phone but with a messed up case.

The phone I bought my husband has a long light leak.

So out of 3 phones bought - 2 leaks.

9. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

Mine has one in the exact same spot. Also has one of those plastic bubbles on the back. Not returning it.

10. meagain thread starter macrumors 68030

3 out of 4 with light leaks. Since the phone clearly has a problem here on the left side - how can we fix this ourselves?

11. meagain thread starter macrumors 68030

No one else has light leaks? Where the glass meets the bezel (mostly by the volume button)... I'm surprised there aren't more reports. I question if our area received a bad batch.

And to anyone that does have it, maybe we could glean which week(s) it was made, etc. ? Mine are 88828 and 88829

12. Cask Guest

I can confirm another light leak, on the edge between the chrome and the screen, right below the volume controls. And also another really small "plastic bubble on the back". I guess that Apple was in such a rush that build quality really took a hit on this one. Still, I'm not gonna exchange, the light leak is very small and I can only notice it in complete darkness.

13. meagain thread starter macrumors 68030

I think this can be fixed. I was looking at the iFixit disassembly photos. The issue is the rubber gasket around the glass/faceplate. Doesn't span the gap on the volume button side. One could unscrew the screws, pop the assembly up and glue a tiny strip of rubber onto it. Or IMO, even a proper thread would work.
    Problem with that is you have to have a nice clean environment and/or a far away gentle spray from a can of air.

I've been thinking of ways to insert something and when searching, someone on HowardForums did just that.

Post #56 on page 4 http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1401820&page=4&pp=15

This light leak issue is rampant and really can't be seen in an Apple store and Apple is starting to claim "within tolerance" on these as most of their OWN phones have the problem.