Anyone have a MacBook and a 20" Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lamina, Mar 20, 2008.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I am thinking of selling my 17" PowerBook to get a BlackBook and a 20" cinema display. I figure I don't need a HUGE screen wherever I go, and when I do have some more serious photo editing to do, I can hook up the MB to that sweet display on my desk.

Does anyone use this setup? I know this would be a huge upgrade from my G4 PowerBook.

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have a blackbook and 20" cinema. I also have an external mouse, kb, speakers, and TM hard drive. It's a really good setup that basically gives me both a desktop and a laptop. :)

3. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Glad to hear it works ^^ I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing except blackbook with a 23" screen.

4. Thetics macrumors regular

If budget provides, you may consider a 15" pro model instead of a blackbook, especially if you plan on doing ANY photo editing while mobile. understand that the macbook screen is not for professional use, the screen quality seriously lacks from its bigger brother. the 20 inch cinema is awesome though.

5. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I can't really afford the macbook pro and am not doing heavy photo or video editing. I kust love the look of the cinema displays and this being my first mac I want it to be sweet. Even though they are pricey !

6. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Got my black MB hooked to a Dell 20"Ultrasharp UVXG mounted on a rotating swing arm,mounted to my 36" Anthro cart. Sweet set up!:cool::apple::D

7. ayale99 macrumors 6502

I've got a similar setup and love it. 15" MBP hooked up to a 24" Dell Ultra Sharp monitor. Basically I have a laptop and desktop in one. Comes in handy for my graphic/web design and photo editing.

As for your display choice, I would look into the 24" Dell ultra sharp (or any of the other ultra sharps.) It uses the exact same parts as the Apple Displays plus it has more usb ports, card reader, extra video inputs and a 3yr warranty...at almost half the cost of an Apple Display. I love me some Apple products but their displays are waaay overpriced and don't offer as many extra features.

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The graphics in the macbook are worse than that of the powerbook, just something to keep in mind if you need graphics.

9. El Phantasmo macrumors member

not the graphics, the 3D rendering.

not the same thing.