Anyone have a macbook AND a macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jonesy85, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Jonesy85 macrumors member

I was thinking about buying a Macbook now so I can get the free ipod, but mostly because I need it for school. I like the small size and it seems like it might be better for carrying around and typing on than the macbook pro. Plus, I really like the solid white color of it.

Then once the macbook pros were updated, I'd get one of those for gaming, and messing around with audio/visual type things as a sort of hobby. I don't care much for desktops because due to where I live I have to use mobile broadband, which sometimes requires me to move around my house until I can get a nice signal.

I feel like this may be a silly idea and possibly just a waste of money seeing as a macbook pro and can everything a macbook can and more. But I do need something now for school. I'm not too concerned with a macbook update since I just need it for school work and that fact that it's very portable.

Do any of you own both? If so, what are your reasons, and do you find it beneficial to own both? This will also be my first mac.

2. A7X21112 macrumors member

A7X21112

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Ahh, $899 is NOT $800.:D

4. SphericalPear macrumors member

if you're a student, you should rather go for a cheap PC laptop. apple is overpriced, one is as much as you'll need (and afford)

5. fedup flyer macrumors regular

I wished Apple would start making a 13' Macbook Pro

6. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I owned a MacBook and replaced it with a MacBook Pro. I prefer the MacBook Pro across the board. It feels lighter (even if it isn't). I prefer:
    • the larger and higher resolution screen;
    • the port layout;
    • that it has FW800 and ExpressCard;
    • that it has a regular DVI port as opposed to a mini so I don't need a dongle;
    • that the speakers are better;
    • that the optical drive is in the front instead of the side (I keep mine under an external monitor);
    All-in-all, I should have bought the MBP from the start. Mind you, my MacBook was nice, but it's not an MBP in my book. :)

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

8. Jonesy85 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses so far.

And toolbox, do you still use both, or do you just use the mbp now?

9. A7X21112 macrumors member

A7X21112

Oh sorry for that geez no one can make a typo god

10. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yep sure do i am on it right now!

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Having two laptops is a stupid idea imho. It's like having two phones. or two ipods. just stick with one. less time backing up data and doing all that migration.

12. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I have an iBook and a MBP.. I use the iBook only sometimes now. It was my note-taking internet surfing machine but I find I'm quicker everything when using my MBP. It is definitely much simpler having everything on one computer rather than two. However, I am still hesitant on lugging the MBP everywhere.

13. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

For a small time period I actually had both machines in my possession. My MBP had some screen defect that needed to be addressed so my work let me borrow a MB for a few days while mine was in the shop. Here's my thoughts:

- The MB screen is really quite ugly, no where as bright or actually in color reproduction as the MBP. The resolution is lower but this isn't much of a sticker.

- The machine isn't much more portable, it's thicker but stubbier. About the same bulk, at least I couldn't notice any difference.

- Speed is just fine. It's quite a speedy machine any way that you look at it :)

- White = Eww. It looks like a cheap toy in all honesty.

14. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Coming from someone that uses a MacBook Pro at work daily, I think it looks extremely bland the MacBook looks 10 times better. When it's all comes down to it, it's a matter of personal opinion.

15. Jonesy85 thread starter macrumors member

Which of the two do you all think feels best for typing? Macbook or MBP?

16. DaveOZ macrumors regular

MB for Wife (good all round machine, worst screen of the lot)
    MBPro for work (nice machine. 17" LED hi res screen is brilliant but it is "big" and "heavy")
    MBAir for surfing around the house and out on the road. (This is my fav. Best screen, best keyboard, fastest boot and launch with SSD)

Your really need the full suite of MacBooks. :p

17. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

MacBook Pro hands down (no pun intended). As somebody that has owned both, I must say that they are both amazing machines, but the MacBook Pro is definitely of higher quality, not to mention at almost the same size (the MBP is larger by about an inch in length and width... not to mention it's only 1/3 of a pound heavier than a MacBook).

18. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I have owned both, but for what I do I prefer the Macbook. I like how it types better(whole lot better) and while it is only has a little less weight, it feels a lot smaller than my Macbook Pro.

BTW of course the Pro is higher quality(on somethings). It better. It costs a lot more. I love common sense.

19. applepalace.com macrumors newbie

You can come to our store for cash discounted prices, check regular prices online first.

Used laptops usually have $200 or $300 dollar difference , some people go with a brand new one or some people dont have the money to pay $200 difference.

I would buy a brand new one cuz I usually need power but you can get a laptop for 500 or 600 dollars for word processing, internet or emails.

Have a nice day

20. rot@ti.org macrumors newbie

MacBook & MBP

I have an MB, MBP, and MBA. I use them for word processing, spreadsheets, and Adobe CS. I've found that processor speed isn't as important as RAM. With 4gb of RAM, the MBP is the only one that can keep up with my needs. The MBA's 2gb of RAM forces me to carefully watch my memory usage as it really slows down when I load too many programs.

I use the MB mainly for email and web surfing. It would be an adequate computer for you if all you do is word processing, small spreadsheets, email, and web access. If you make large spreadsheets or do much graphics work, go with the MBP.

21. eme jota ce macrumors regular

I had both but sold the Pro in favor of the Macbook

Based on your need for WiFi, I'd go with the MacBook. In my home, the macbook pro's wifi reception from an airport extreme base station was MUCH worse than my macbook's reception on the same network.

22. rogerinlondon macrumors newbie

I have a MBP and my wife has a MB. I like the look of the MBP, backlit keyboard, aluminium etc but the batttery life and the Wifi-reception is MUCH better on the MB so the practical choice would be a MB.