Anyone have a MBP and 30" cinema?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lukester, Jan 3, 2010.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

Just got a refurbished one yesterday and I am trying to calibrate it with my eye1 D2. If I just use the cinema lcd in the display menu for monitors it is very bright and cool looking for temp.

I run the program in the advanced mode and set the brightness at 110 Lum.s , 6500k, 2.2 gamma, and I ran it about 4-5 times and it came back with awful results. Then I ran it again and it worked?
    What the hey? However I don't trust it. How long do the calibrator pucks last?
    What about my video card, could that be the culprit? What can you do to test a video card?

Plus the two screws on the monitor that tighten the screen swivel can't be tightened much more and the screen barely will hold at an angle. I also have 1 bad pixel down near the bottom, not a deal breaker.
    Should I send it back?

I must say though that the screen is awesome, just need to figure out my weak link here.

any thoughts please?

2. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

3. JacaByte macrumors 6502

If there's nothing wrong with the monitor, you got what you paid for, but I'm not following. Was there something that was wrong with it?

4. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

When I open up PS CS4 bridge it does not refresh when you change views. Like film strip to essentials. It updates 1/2 the monitor and the other side does not.. sound like a video card?
    How can I test it?

5. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

I have a MBP and a 42" display (Vizio HDTV)... Does this qualify?

6. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I move Cs4 bridge back to my laptop and it works, I then move it to the cinema display and it's dead..????

7. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

You mean "dead" as in it freezes up on you? CS4 bridge works fine on my 42" display... Check bridge's preferences...

Honestly, if you keep getting this problem you could try to re-install CS4 Bridge (i.e. not the whole suite! lol). Good luck man. ;-)

8. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is one for ya, I just changed my calibrated profile which I was going nuts trying get right from 6500k, 120 LUM. 2.2 gamma, to the standard one Cinema LCD which has a much higher Kelvin temp and tried bridge and it works fine.. Now you tell me whats going on?
    It does not want to run at a warmer temp. It likes it's Native kelvin I guess.
    So that is weird, that means I can't calibrate it, or can't use a anything but Native?

9. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

For some reason bridge will not run properly with the monitor hooked up.
    Not of enough ram? I have 3 gigs. also My MBP should be able to run the monitor, it has 128 mg ram on the video card.

10. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

Found the problem

Talked to apple support yesterday and he said bring the display and
    computer to apple store, it was a pain, 50 miles away.
    They found out I did have something wrong with my video card.
    They are replacing the login board, big bucks, and my apple care ran out last month!
    No problem. Kudos for apple they will still honor it plus they may replace my super drive too.
    Also they sent my 30" display back to apple to replace the hinge mech and they will ship it to me no charge.. Awesome.
    Man this card problem I think has been giving me problems for some time.
    It seemed to only nit work right under certain conditions.
    I am loving my apple stuff even more now.