Anyone have a MG?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silbeej, Mar 23, 2008.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Got a 1977 MGB, and it runs fairly well. So who has one, and any suggestions on maintaining them and keeping them running well. Mine has 70k original miles, and has a new clutch in it.

2. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

My dad used to have an MGB, I don't remember the year. He sold it before i was born. I know that it wasn't very reliable. At that point in his life he owned a Land Rover Series IIa and the MGB. The Rover was his winter/bad weather car and the MG was his more practical car. Unfortunately neither the LR or the MG were very reliable or practical cars. He needed something more reliable and with better fuel economy so he bought a Mustang back in the day.

They're awesome little cars, but I would rather have a Triumph TR6.

3. jhkingsr macrumors regular

I've had a '73 Midget, '77 B, and a '74 TR-6. A good source for parts and accessories is Victoria British.

4. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I owned two at the same time for several years -- a 1968 MGB GT (hatchback) and a 1969 MGB (roadster). I drove them both as my only cars for over 20 years. Unfortunately, I destroyed the GT on the freeway 5 years ago, and sold the other one about 3 years ago because my wife was nervous I would kill myself on the freeway with this small convertible. I drive an Acura 3.2 TL now and absolutely love it.

But there is something very special about owning, driving, and maintaining an MGB, especially an early one (pre 1974 when they went rubber bumper and the ride height got too high). I want to buy another one (1967 roadster with metal dash) when I retire in a few years. My experience is that they are very reliable and hardy, including the Lucas electronics which never gave me any trouble. Love the wire wheels, sleek design, low ride, and exhaust note. Damn, I'm wanting another one now ...

5. Tankgunk macrumors regular

Tankgunk

Might I be the first to say no?

EDIT: No, but I can be the first to say no, and neither did my dad.

6. LiveForever macrumors 6502

No but I'd like one- I almost worked for MG Rover and have always had a soft spot for the company. Good to see they have just started up again even if they are now Chinese owned!
    http://www.mg-uk.co.uk

But I really want one of these, the iphone of cars. Simple and pound for pound the best thing on 4 wheels you can own.

http://www.grouplotus.com/cars/showroom.html#/elise/

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, so they're coming back? I don't see the point if they're just going to be making the same bland cars that aren't particularly well designed, not particularly efficient, and not particularly environmentally friendly. It's just a car......a car like any other.

They really should just stick to very classic designs. Don't even bother changing anything with regards to the looks or interior. A new engine would be OK, but just make them look and feel classic.