Anyone have a MPB trackpad off leveled?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gameaholic, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Gameaholic macrumors member

Hey guys,

I know this might sound a bit picky, but i recently bought my Macbook Pro and i cant help but realize that the trackpad is kind of off leveled on mine. The left side is leveled, but the in right side of the trackpad, there is a small gap. Anyone else experienced this and is there anything i can do to push the trackpad up so it levels? Thanks

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

This is such a minimal problem. If it does not affect the way it tracks your finger, there is nothing to worry about. If you are not satisfied with it, exchange it for another one. The retailer that you purchased it from may not allow you to exchange it, as the problem is so minimal. It is a non-issue.

3. Gameaholic thread starter macrumors member

If i do exchange it, will i get a refurbish or a new MPB? Thx

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It depends. Where did you buy it?

5. Gameaholic thread starter macrumors member

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

They will give you a new one. Just go to the store with the MBP in the box, and they will exchange it. But like I said, they may not exchange it because the problem sounds to be so minimal.

7. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

I honestly don't think they're going to take it back, for the very reasons mentioned here. It's like returning a shirt because the button seems to be off by a tad on the other cuff.

I think stuff like this is part of why Apple charges so much at times, and why new products end up in the refurb store so quick.

8. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

i'd give it a try, ive seen people being able to return blackberry's because their trackpad was leaning a little

9. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I don't know what everyone is saying - I'd take that back in a second. It's not a minimal problem when you're using the trackpad 90% of the time.

I wouldn't pay over $2,000 for a lopsided trackpad.

10. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

11. LisaMaree macrumors member

Why? So you guys can obsess over it some more? Don't waste your time, this is a total non-issue like AlphaDogg said.

12. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

haha thats the perfect analogy.

yeah my track pad is a bit off leveled i guess. the upper part is just a tiny bit more recessed than the bottom. i also think its a very minimalistic problem thats not nearly worth the hassle of taking it back and dealing w/ all that. the OP is probably just being OCD about it, but i can completely understand why. i kinda was like that about the yellow tinge issue.

13. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Mine is not lopsided, but when I tap in the bottom right, an annoying click happens. Tap anywhere else and it's just like normal... silent.

If i push REALLY hard with my palm and rub it around with pressure it alleviates the problem for a couple days, sometimes a week.

14. RT2020 macrumors regular

mine is the same...the gap on the left side is bigger than the gap on the right side...it sits level though and doesn't affect the functionality

15. bigjobby macrumors 65816

mine is ever so slightly more recessed on the left but it isn't a big deal. It actually looks worse because of the shadow cast by my room lighting.

16. Gameaholic thread starter macrumors member

Well it's much different than anything else I own and i care about it so much because it did cost a lot of money. The reason I'm worry about this because the gap is slowly getting wider with each click. I don't have to return it, but does anyone think the people at the Apple store can open up the Mac possible fix the trackpad? A little push or maybe a replace will do.

17. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

hmm wait that made me discover something. is the upper half of your track pad much MUCH harder to click as opposed to the bottom half where the clicks are as easy as a mouse click? is everyone else's mac like this?

Edit: nvm, found out this is normal because the trackpad is hinged from the top :)

18. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

Yes.

19. Kristine macrumors 6502a

My trackpad is more recessed on the left than the right (significantly so), but since this is a replacement for a 15" with a terrible screen, I did not want to risk exchanging again and ending up with another Macbook Pro with another terrible screen.

20. celticpride678

The issue is with the tension screw for the trackpad. To fix it, bring it in to the Apple Store and ask them to tighten the screw. It should fix the issue and takes about two minutes.

21. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

ever so slightly the left dips lower, cant see it but you can feel it.

22. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

yes the left dips a tiny, tiny bit lower, unnoticeable by looking