Anyone have a Nintendo DS?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by JHNguyen, Jan 22, 2008.

1. JHNguyen macrumors member

How do you like it?

I've recently been playing games more often since I had gotten an Xbox 360. It's lots of fun, but, I'm looking to try out a hand held. The majority of games I play are, racing games, and FPS. I almost always play on Xbox Live (over the internet)

So I was curious, I'm not a huge fan of playing games single player, but once in a while I do. How is the Nintendo DS over a wifi connection? I know Mario Kart DS is compatible and that seems like a lot of fun.

2. bwiissofly macrumors 6502

I don't have an answer to your question but do you play Halo 3 on XBL?

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Mario Kart is amazing. There's not really any communication, but there's virtually no lag unless you're on the edge of your WiFi network

4. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

For racing and FPS I'm not sure the DS would be the best, just don't know what the PSP has. I own a DS and I think it's great.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The DS has the most fun racer - Mario Kart DS. It's a best-of and contains all the good bits of the earlier games and wifi play. Stupid number of tracks, racers and karts.

Metroid Prime Hunters is, IMO, the best handheld FPS because of the controls.

Now it's almost happy perfect fairy land but outside of them 2 I've yet to find other halfway decent racing or FPS games.

---

Anyroad! There are loads of online games now. Seems that every game that could be online is now, and in a few days (maybe today?) Advance Wars DS 2 is out which has wifi.

It's a mint little system. I'm a PSP loving mood right now but in the end I think the DS is an insanely great system. Just give me a damn 2D Metroid and Zelda :mad:

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Mario Kart DS is an insanely great racer. I played it over wii-fi with only friends, so never had any bad latency. The game is soo much fun!

FPS's on the DS are second to none when it comes to portables and this is because of the controls. You use the stylus like a mouse, so you get speed with precision, something that even a thumb-stick can't match -- aiming on the PSP is a throwback to the PS1 days.

-------

Ha raggedjimmi, You bought your PSP out of protest of Nintendo's recent 3D Zelda move. :D I knew it! :p And speaking of Zelda, why are there Mario characters in Link's Awakening? :confused:

<]=)

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You know, a better title for this thread would be "Who DOESN'T have a DS?"

Then again, you wouldn't get any responses. :D

8. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

The DS is a mighty fine system, there are a buttload of games to play, it's just ridiculous, I love it.

I'd say the DS is worth getting for the Castlevania games ALONE, they are that great.

But then you also have Mario Kart DS, New Super Mario Bros, Yoshi Island DS, Dementium The Ward, Elite Beat Agents, Mario Party, Puzzle Quest, Brain Age 2, Advance Wars Dual Strike (and now Days of Ruin), Meteos, Trauma Center, Phoenix Wright, Worms Open Warfare 2, Tetris DS, Phantom Hourglass, Warioware, Picross, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl and many many more I can't seem to remember.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

+ Animal Crossing, Kirby (both).

No short supply of killer games on that system.

10. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

How did you like this game? I've been thinking about getting it, because it seems to have that old school PC feel.

<]=)

11. skrutzen macrumors regular

I think I'm in the minority when it comes to the general consensus about Mario Kart. I think it's boring and the not that fun. It lost something for me after 10 minutes. I enjoyed it a lot more on the N64. That said, I really like Zelda. Also, I just got Age of Empires on it and that's not too bad either. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is a good game as well. I'm tempted to buy Advance Wars but I'm not sure if I'll like it because I've never played any of the prior versions for DS or GBA so I'm not really familiar with the background of the game.

Keep in mind your security settings for your wireless network. I cannot use the wireless on my DS because it does not support WPA2 and I am not going to change the security on my network for my DS. So, wireless functionality is out of the question for me.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh the background in AW games is dismissable. It's nice when you're playing the campaign as it gives you reason for beating the game. But when it comes to transferring story to each game, whilst they are all related it's not that important.

I'll have Days of Ruin in a few days. I'm loving the art direction in that, though I hear it's missing the War Room :eek:

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have a DS but in my attempt to not distract myself I packed that and my Wii. Now as I sit around on my ass trying not to panic at the sheer number of boxes and the disorder I wonder which box my DS is in. :(
    The reason why I got it, Mario Kart. 2nd to that I really wanted to try Brian Age.

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Open up all of your boxes, it will give you something to do. :D

I'm still trying to find my camcorder which I had before I moved. I hope it's not in one of the boxes that got rained on.

<]=)

15. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Actually I enjoyed it a lot, the graphics are great for a DS game and the music sets the mood just fine, the framerate is always ultra smooth and it DOES have that old school PC shooter feel, it's definitely worth buying, the only downsides are that the enemies are not too varied and their design is not the best, the unforgiving save system and the fact that it's too short.

It's a nice adventure though, despite being a DS game it manages to set a nice atmosphere and exploring the innards of the ward is pretty interesting as is the conclusion of the game and the weapons. I'm not sure it's worth 29.99 because of its length but the quality is definitely there.

16. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Thanks. That's enough for me to buy it.

I've also been looking for the cheeeeeeese that is Orcs & Elves, since this game is purely old school. The game is only $19, since it's on a 16meg DS cart and full of cheese.

<]=)

17. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

I use the brain and eye training titles on my DS. They're educational and also fun at the same time.

For gamers:
    - Mario Party
    - New Super Mario Bros.
    - WarioWare titles. I have WarioWare: Touched!

18. pcypert macrumors 6502

I've loved:

New Super Mario
    Mario Kart
    Brain Age 1, 2
    Dawn of Sorrow
    Portrait of Ruin
    Bomberman
    Zelda
    Phoenix Wright Series
    Trauma Center

Paul

19. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Dude I still play Mario Kart DS. Like literally all the time. My online record is 1082-208 or something like that. I can't say I take it easy on many racers, but I do try to keep it fair by not snaking myself all over the place.

20. Steel Wheels macrumors member

Steel Wheels

21. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

I love my DS, especially with enhancements.

22. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

I have been looking to get one of these for a while (not specifically the R4, but a flashcart in general)

How well do these play with Macs, and where the hell can you find them, because every online store I look at is either out of stock or has an extremely bad reputation

EDIT: found it at gameyeeeah.com, can't decide if I want the R4 or the M3 DS Real

23. pcypert macrumors 6502

They come standard if you buy a DS over here in Thailand. I made the mistake of buying what the shop suggested instead of asking for a R4. I got the Super Card Lite. It's great, but I can't do any loading of it from my mac :( Always have to go to the shop which isn't a problem as I'm there all the time, but a bit frustrating if you don't have that option. Really nice to have multiple games with me for long sessions out. I always lose my carts.

Paul

24. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

If you want to play racing games... I'd go for the PSP. I love the DS but the PSP has some serious gaming material.

25. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I like my little DS. COntra 4 is my favorite game for it, with Super Mario Bros. a close second, then Mario Kart a close third.