Anyone have a Rhodes CHROMA Apple II card?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by epoxy2600, Jun 21, 2012.

1. epoxy2600 macrumors newbie

I'm soon to be the new owner of a 1982 Rhodes CHROMA music keyboard/synthesizer; this was one of the first electronic instruments built to directly interface with the Apple II to allow sound creation and music composition. To do so, one needed to have the special interface card installed in their Apple II...which I don't have!

So does anyone out there have one of these, perhaps lying around in your stash of misc. Apple II cards? If so, I'd love to purchase it from you.

I've attached a couple picts showing the card to help ID it. Looks like it says "Rhodes" on it.

Thanks!
    Howie

Attached Files:

2. sharprichnorth macrumors newbie

Rhodes Chroma Apple II Card

Hi, I run the Rhodes Chroma site (rhodeschroma.com). I suppose you have an Apple II--if I still had one, I'm not sure I'd want to risk it breaking down, but of course that's up to you. However, it's probably easier for you to grab a CPU Plus and hook it up to a modern computer.

Cheers,

Chris

3. epoxy2600 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Chris, it's great to bump into you on this board. Your Chroma site is a fantastic resource that really motivated me to buy my instrument after many years of admiring the Chroma from afar. My interest in interfacing it with my Apple II is more about it being a neat way to bridge two hobbies of mine, and secondarily to explore what using this state-of-the-art circa 1983 setup was like. I actually bought David B.'s instrument as featured on your site's classifieds...as you know it's a beautiful synth with CC+ and SPSU kits already installed, and I'm talking with Chris B. about getting a CPS kit as well. Look for my new owner's info on your site soon!

Howie