Anyone have a Seagate Go Flex?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zombierunner, May 2, 2011.

1. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

I have a 250gb Seagate Free Agent Go Flex drive ... I was just wondering when they would launch the thunderbolt adapter and would i then be able to use that drive for time machine? with thunderbolt speeds?

2. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

I have the 1.5TB model and I've also been wondering if/when they would launch the Thunderbolt adapter. Although I already use mine for time machine.

3. DCJ001 macrumors 6502

DCJ001

4. cuestakid macrumors 68000

DO NOT BUY A GO-FLEX!!!!!!!

if you go to the Seagate forums, there are numerous, numerous posts about the Go-Flex compatibility with Macs. I didn't know this and got one. The result? A return trip to Best Buy because the Seagate would continue to randomly unmount and could not complete a time machine backup. I strongly advise against getting one, even though they have publicly stated their Thunderbolt intentions. My best advice is to simply wait to Western Digital, OWC and others to follow suit.

It may or may not be relevant, but I ended up getting a Western Digital-during my physical set-up, I somehow managed to brick my 2TB WD Studio RAID-thankfully it was just the power that died and all my movies, tv shows, ect are just fine.

Guess I got my own personal Hard Drive rapture......

5. kirsch92 macrumors member

I believe most of the problems arise from people using the software based HFS for windows/mac compatability.

Re-formated my Goflex to HFS+, got rid of the junk on the drive in the process.

Use FW800, Rock solid mounts, sleeps and wake ups. Not one hiccup.

Here I am a WD guy defending a Seagate. Crazy.

6. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

I have quite a number of Seagate GoFlex drives — both portable and desktop — and they work just fine with the Macs. I also format with HFS+. (I have noticed though, if you wobble the USB mini-plug that goes into the desktop drive around at all, the drive does tend to unmount. I don't know why that is, but it's not a problem if you have your drive and cable where it's not going to get bumped.)

I've also wondered about Thunderbolt adapters, but for the time being USB 2 works just fine.

7. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

My 1Tb GoFlex FW800 formatted to Mac has performed flawlessly over the last 6 months.

I'm just posting to confirm that both 2.5" USB2 and FW800 interfaces work with bare 2.5" drives.

8. jackrv macrumors 6502

I own 2 Go-Flex drives (320 and 500), one attached via USB and the other with FW800 for over a year now. The 500 I keep attached to my Mac and is formatted HFS+. The 320 is exfat and I use it to xfer video files from windows computers. I personally have never experienced a problem with either.

9. josephmccutchen, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

josephmccutchen macrumors member

Eh-hem.... I'm on my second GoFlex drive (I gave my first one to a friend in Africa who can't afford an external drive), and I've had no trouble whatsoever with it on my Mac. I have it set as a dual partition; one as Mac OS Extended, and the other as ExFAT; works just fine!

10. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I guess I shouldn't judge all GoFlex's by their connector.

If they can come out with a 4TB+ Thunderbolt device before WD or OWC and the price is "relatively" reasonable, I may jump ship.

Glad everyone hasn't had the issues I had.

11. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

Mine has worked just fine for my TimeMachine set to OS Extended, the only thing I do not like about it is the seemingly 'un-seamless' connection the main part of the drive. I must be used to the UniBody type designs :p:apple:

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I just bought a Go Flex, but I don't give a crap about thunderbolt :)

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I guess you owe everyone an apologize...Just kidding..I am happy with latest model Go Flex 500GB with USB 3.0 also bought Firewire adaptor..I also formatted to HFS+ everything worked great with Time Machine. I owned several Seagate hard drives and I trust Seagate.

14. xiaomei macrumors member

Is there any way to have drive unmounted on startup and mount it when it's needed? Also can I create some kind of shortcut on desktop to easy mount a hard drive by doubleclick?

15. minik macrumors 65816

I bought the GoFlex Pro for Mac (750GB) early this year, so far so good.

16. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

this. format in HFS+ and you're golden. My 2 TB has been rock solid.

17. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

My 2TB should arrive from Amazon on Tuesday, I'm stoked to plug it in to my router for wireless time machine backups. :)