Anyone have a solution to the "sharp edges" on rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johngwheeler, Nov 25, 2014.

1. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

I've just bought an rMBP 15 as an upgrade to my MBA. The new machine seems to be a step-up in most senses (much better screen and generally more powerful).

However, there is one thing I don't like, which are the sharp edges on the lower cut-out where you open the screen. On the MBA the cut-out is much thinner and you don't notice it if you run your thumb across the palm-rest (below the trackpad). On the rMBP it's a much deeper "scallop" with a noticeable sharp point at both ends. I find that I tend to rub my thumb against the point when I use the trackpad.

Has anyone found a "solution" to this (rubber pads or such), other than simply learning a new hand posture that avoids contact with the the cut-out?

I also found the flat, thicker body less comfortable for typing on than the MBA which slant down to only a couple of millimetres off the desk.

These aren't deal-breakers for me - the rMBP is a better computer - but I'd like to make using it more comfortable.

TIA,

John

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Not sure about a fix, but as a comparison, the scoop on the rMBP is less sharp than on the previous unibody MBP. I have both 13" models, and the rMBP is just barely rounded off in comparison.

To each their own. I'm personally not a fan of the MBA wedge design since I tend to prop up my rMBP on my stomach when watching Netflix in bed. The MBA wouldn't be comfortable in the same way.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's really no solution other then putting something softer over the edge while you type. FWIW, the edges don't bother me. I suppose I've gotten used to them.

4. Artimus12 macrumors 6502a

Artimus12

What might help is buying a case w\ stand that tilts the whole machine, so it rests more like the wedge of the MBA.

Like this one which I have. The two feet fold flat when not in use, and the clear shell I chose protects without hiding the nature of the beast.

Attached Files:

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I had a 13 rMBP for a period of time and the sharp edge and flat, thicker body drove me crazy. I was never able to get used to it, and it became uncomfortable to use. Now I know I didn't really hold my wrists properly and that was probably the main reason I had indents on my wrists after using for a while.

As others have stated you will probably get used to it. I never could and it was part of the reason I went back to the MBA. While the screen isn't great, I will take the flat front wedge design any day. I can use it for hours and never feel any discomfort.