Anyone have a working version of Ublock for Webkit?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Tito910, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Tito910 macrumors member

I'm trying to find an alternative to AdBlock. It works fine but it's such a memory hog. Not an issue for my g5 with 14 gigs of ram. But it is an issue for my G4 with 1.25 gigs. I tried the ublock on the official site, but it doesn't work right. The menu bar item doesn't work ad the ad block functionality doesn't work either.

Does anyone have a working version of ublock? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

2. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

uBlock Origin should work. But @eyoungren uses uMatrix to do this, and he's quite happy with it. Might be worth a shot.

3. Tito910 thread starter macrumors member

IIRC neither of those are available on safari.

4. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

Are you using WebKit? If so, I have no idea how to do that. I'd suggest using TenFourFox instead.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yah, Safari doesn't really have great extensions. One of the reasons I use TenFourFox/Firefox.

You might try Glimmerblocker if you are trying to block ads.

That's sort of a whole system solution though. Glimmerblocker actually installs as a System Preference Pane and you make your choices in System Preferences. It will affect any browser, not just Safari.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@Tito910 On WebKit and Safari I recommend AdGuard, it is much lighter than AdBlock. On TenFourFox, Bluhell Firewall is the best hands down!

7. Tito910 thread starter macrumors member

Is there a certain version needed? I grabbed the latest safari extension off the site and it's causing to webkit to crash to start.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

As far as I know, I am running the latest version. I simply installed it off the Extensions page.

9. Tito910 thread starter macrumors member

Could you take a look at the extensions list in the settings and tell me the version number? 2.3.9 is the one listed right now.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I attempted to update AdGuard to the latest version and experienced the same issue. My best guess is that they are no longer supporting older versions of Safari/WebKit. I am trying out Firewall Lite, which is on the Safari Extensions page as "Adblock Lite". It appears to be closest to Bluhell for TenFourFox in that it is a hard coded ad blocker rather than offering the customization of the other ones. Furthermore, it appears to have very little performance hit! I would give that a shot...

11. RamCpu macrumors member