Anyone Have an Addonics IDE to mSATA Adapter?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sawpits, May 9, 2019.

1. sawpits macrumors regular

Anyone have one that they are no longer using? It wasn't the $25 price that bothered me but they want over $10 to ship that single item. So if anyone has one which they are willing to let me have let me know and we can work something out.

From what I recall reading the Addonics is the only reliable IDE to mSATA adapter. I have my mSATA SSD, now I need an adapter. Has anyone had luck with any other make of adapter?

2. Slix macrumors 65816

Slix

3. Hughmac, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019

Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

4. z970mp macrumors 65816

z970mp

I completely second what the above people have to say. I've got the same ones as Slix in two machines, and never had any problems.

Addonics is too expensive.

5. B S Magnet macrumors 6502

B S Magnet

I’m using the m.2 NGFF variant of this product in my PowerBook, and it works as smoothly as the Addonics mSATA adapter in my iBook clamshell. In fact, I went with the former over the latter for the PowerBook because the cost of the Addonics was more than I could afford to spend this time round.

6. benwild_33 macrumors regular

I have the "Lindy" adaptor in my 17" and it's been great. I also bought one of the cheap eBay ones beforehand and could never get it working. I was messing around with it last weekend and realise the issue, the cheap one had jumper pins and when looking up online, no pins meant in was running as master. I knew from my powermac that macs like to run in cable select so I added a jumper in the right place and it worked first time. I'll post benchmarks this weekend.

7. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I think that's based on each person's opinion.

I bought one of those cheap plastic one's a couple of years ago. Never worked. In my opinion the Addonics adapter was worth the price. It works. On top of everything else, it's metal. Not plastic.

Whatever works for anyone else though, great. It just comes down to what you're willing to pay.

8. z970mp, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019

z970mp macrumors 65816

z970mp

Isn't this forum mostly comprised of opinions?

9. amagichnich macrumors 6502

amagichnich

Lindy works greats as well as Manhattan, at least for 40 pin IDE. In my 'books I use very cheap ones of which I cannot remember the name. Everything works like a charm, even sleep mode, which causes problems with some adaptors

10. sawpits thread starter macrumors regular

I had no problem with the price of the Addonics since no one seems to have had problems with it working properly, but their charging over $10 for shipping is crazy.

I ordered one of the adapters Slix has, so when it arrives and I install I'll let people know.

11. B S Magnet macrumors 6502

B S Magnet

You must be in America. :D

12. sawpits, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019

sawpits thread starter macrumors regular

Installed successfully using the inexpensive plastic IDE mSATA adapter as mentioned above. No problems, no jumpers needed. Using a Samsung 860 EVO 250GB mSATA which was factory refurbished by Samsung and paid less than $50