Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Wondering if you find that the Apple Watch brings anything new that will cause you to wear it as your daily watch and move your Garmin for exercise only.

scrobert

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Wondering if you find that the Apple Watch brings anything new that will cause you to wear it as your daily watch and move your Garmin for exercise only.

I have a 920xt. I'll let you know how it plays into my life when I get the Watch next month.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I have a 920xt. I'll let you know how it plays into my life when I get the Watch next month.

Thanks Scrobert! Love the Fenix but as an Apple consumer wouldn't mind the watch but just interested in what more it brings to the table.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Still waiting for my Apple Watch but picked up a Fenix 3 sapphire yesterday a my the London Marathon Expo. Best fitness watch ever!!

Love mine and have had great results with it. Some have had problems with it reporting short distances and the tracks are bad. The one I have has been outstanding. Run with Glonass on and 1 sec reporting. Step tracker works great and pairs nicely with the iPhone. Plus the battery life is amazing!

Reactions: worker73

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
Love mine and have had great results with it. Some have had problems with it reporting short distances and the tracks are bad. The one I have has been outstanding. Run with Glonass on and 1 sec reporting. Step tracker works great and pairs nicely with the iPhone. Plus the battery life is amazing!

I have so far done a couple of runs with it. Thankfully, the HR monitor is damn accurate! Well, far better than the Tom Tom multipart I got on Xmas (which is going back for a refund). I was not even fully aware of all the features and was so, so happy when I saw it could double-up as a notification centre with my iPhone. Makes waiting for the Apple Watch seem far more bearable!

AleksSD

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
I have a 920xt and use it as my everyday watch as well as for triathlon training. I ordered an apple watch and I'm in the 4-6 week delivery window. I'm excited to see how the watch works as an everyday watch but I know I won't be using it as an exercise watch. I am torn though because I love the fact that I don't have to "remember" my Garmin anymore. So I can just go train and have one less thing to remember. So I'll report in later.

gecko20

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Esch Alzette / Luxembourg

I have a 920xt and hope so in the near futur my ss black space apple watch.
I will use my apple watch with the black sport braveletnsome times for long running sessions (for to put audio books on itfor my powerbeats 2) and espacialy for the cycling (the taptic notification for the gps is great of you programm a long cycling tour)
For the rest I will just use my garmin for the sport activities and my apple watch with the link bracelet for casual

Andy in Embsay

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015

I've had an F3 for about two months now, and it's definitely the best fitness watch I've ever had. Activity and sleep tracking, awesome battery life and the ability to control my Virb cameras. But I'll be using my Apple Watch as my everyday watch as the non-fitness functions are so much better.

The Garmin wipes the floor with AW as a fitness device, but the reverse is true of non-Fitness stuf

lyncstar

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2015
I have so far done a couple of runs with it. Thankfully, the HR monitor is damn accurate! Well, far better than the Tom Tom multipart I got on Xmas (which is going back for a refund). I was not even fully aware of all the features and was so, so happy when I saw it could double-up as a notification centre with my iPhone. Makes waiting for the Apple Watch seem far more bearable!

I'm looking at getting the Fenix 3 and I also have the Apple Watch on order (4-6 week delivery time). I'm no longer sure once I get the F3 why I would want the Apple Watch... Seems like a waste. Thoughts?

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
I'm looking at getting the Fenix 3 and I also have the Apple Watch on order (4-6 week delivery time). I'm no longer sure once I get the F3 why I would want the Apple Watch... Seems like a waste. Thoughts?

I am absolutely loving the fenix 3. The thing to remember is that they are inherently different devices, aimed at different market groups. Depends how serious one is about fitness, but no way can the Apple watch replace a dedicated fitness device. At least, that is how I feel.

Here is my review of the fenix 3, hope you find it useful: http://andykumar.net/2015/04/28/garmin-fenix-3-review/

I am planning a further blog post comparing the 2 from a fitness perspective, once I finally receive my Apple watch. There is definitely a place for both.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden

I tried both,but as I want good battery life,and a waterproof watch,I prefer my fenix 3,even if the Apple Watch has more useful functions for everyday life.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
I've got both, and had both since they came out (so currently have a series 0 Apple watch). I wear the Apple Watch day to day and Fenix 3 for activities, which also tends to get used most days but only during activities. To be honest I don't really care about counting steps so aren't bothered that I might wear one for half of the day and then the other.

The Apple watch is so much better than the fenix in terms of being a smart watch, and the fenix so much better than the Apple watch at tracking activities that I do (Running, cycling and swimming), although I use a Garmin edge 520 for cycling.

I'm wondering whether watches like Polar's M600 might be the future, a fully featured smartwatch with decent sports tracking. This is the way i'm likely to go in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.