Anyone have an idea when MBP will get Merom?

Krionis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
28
0
When MBP will get Merom, or at least whether or not it will cost more. Is it characteristic of apple to raise prices when upgrading the same basic model of machine?

Also does anyone know if theire are chances of an upgrade to the x1800?

As of this week i will no longer have a macbook and i wanting to know if itll be worth me waiting to by my MBP, seeing as i may get a better video card and processor if i wait but i lost the ipod rebate.
 

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
1,962
0
The MBPs are rumored to get the Merom upgrade at Apple Expo Paris this September/October. If not then, we will almost definitely see them in January at MacWorld San Francisco.

Apple traditionally does not raise the prices for changes like this. I would not expect a change but I suppose they can do whatever they want.

I don't know about any upgrades to the x1800.
 

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
2,537
0
England
MBP getting Merom sometime in September - Highly likely
MBP costing more with Merom - Unlikely
MBP getting a Mobility X1800 - 50:50
 

btgordon

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
41
0
Many people are thinking that we will see a stateside drop on September 5th as a silent update.
 

bluetorch18

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2006
155
0
BlizzardBomb said:
MBP getting Merom sometime in September - Highly likely
MBP costing more with Merom - Unlikely
MBP getting a Mobility X1800 - 50:50
What other card do you think it would get? There is no way they would continue using the X1600, as it was mid range when they put it in...they would have to use at least a X1800 or nVidia equivalent, IMO.
 

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
765
0
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Everyone knows the exact date and time the MBP is getting the Merom but we all have a code of silence that prevents us from telling newbies. I swore on a stack of prototype Leopard Missing Manuals.

Nobody knows, dude. The speculation is that it will be pretty soon because the Merom is a drop-in replacement and Intel just released them, so it shouldn't take that long to make the change. And Apple doesn't have a stock problem because it can use all of the old Yonahs for other computers (like the MB, Mini, etc). But that's all just speculation. Nobody knows buddy and Steve could surprise us all like he's done many times in the past.
 

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
1,758
0
California
tristan said:
Everyone knows the exact date and time the MBP is getting the Merom but we all have a code of silence that prevents us from telling newbies. I swore on a stack of prototype Leopard Missing Manuals.
There is a highly complex search function that may reveal the answer to newbies though. If only they knew how to use it...
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
3,566
95
Another merom thread! It is anticipated that merom will arrive in September but the big update wont be until next year.
 

indigoflowAS

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2005
268
0
Columbus, OH
viccles said:
Another merom thread! It is anticipated that merom will arrive in September but the big update wont be until next year.
So what do you see (in your crystal ball :p )? Just a speedbump coming next month? It is due for a revision, in my opinion.
 

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
6,302
1
bluetorch18 said:
What other card do you think it would get? There is no way they would continue using the X1600, as it was mid range when they put it in...they would have to use at least a X1800 or nVidia equivalent, IMO.
The X1600 is mid-range even for laptops, but it seems to be quite high mid-range since this comparison places it in performance class 2 out of 6 for laptop graphics.

Edit: Class 6 seems to be only cards from around 2003, so it's perhaps not that high mid-range after all. It would be nice with an upgrade, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm worried about the power consumption of the chips in class 1. I'm trying to find some more tech spec comparisons, but I've had no luck so far.
 

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
2,537
0
England
bluetorch18 said:
What other card do you think it would get? There is no way they would continue using the X1600, as it was mid range when they put it in...they would have to use at least a X1800 or nVidia equivalent, IMO.
Well the only options are:

1) Do nothing
2) 256MB standard on all models
3) MR X1800
4) NVIDIA Go 7600/ 7800/ 7800 GTX

Number 3 or 4 with the 7800 would be nice.
 

indigoflowAS

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2005
268
0
Columbus, OH
BlizzardBomb said:
Well the only options are:

1) Do nothing
2) 256MB standard on all models
3) MR X1800
4) NVIDIA Go 7600/ 7800/ 7800 GTX

Number 3 or 4 with the 7800 would be nice.
I like the sound of that last one...more power to nVidia!
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
3,566
95
indigoflowAS said:
So what do you see (in your crystal ball :p )? Just a speedbump coming next month? It is due for a revision, in my opinion.
In my crystal ball :p I see the 64 bit being introduced with a small speed increase but next year Santa Rosa :p I have to say I have learnt quite a bit after knowing zippo about chips a few days ago hehe came from reading all these merom threads!
 

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
6,302
1
BlizzardBomb said:
Well the only options are:

1) Do nothing
2) 256MB standard on all models
3) MR X1800
4) NVIDIA Go 7600/ 7800/ 7800 GTX

Number 3 or 4 with the 7800 would be nice.
Let's not hope number 4 with Go 7600, because the Go 7600 seems like it would be a step backwards from the X1600, at least in pure specs. The jump to the specs of the Go 7800 is huge according to this.