Anyone have an iPhone on at&t and Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikelegacy, Aug 11, 2011.

1. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I will in September, mainly to get the iPhone 5 AND to have a second developer program. I'm a brand new developer and still a student so I'm poor and only have one device.

Essentially I pay for my own bill on at&t now, but I'm going on a share plan on Verizon with my family to have two phones. I need a business phone anyways.

But anyways, my main question is, does anyone else have the phone on two carriers, are there advantages to having the phone on both carriers being a devlopers

2. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've ha one on both. Never at the same same time. Thenonly advantage I can see is the one u mentioned. Having something to develop on, well, and one to fall back on if the other does or something

3. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Why do you need 2 developer's accounts? You can have 1 account and register 100 devices/year in that account.

4. imprezu macrumors member

imprezu

I have them on both.

AT&T Company 3GS
    Verizon iPhone 4

5. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I had 2 phones with both carriers not to long ago (work and personal). I had to return the Verizon back to work because of bad phone coverage in our area, but mainly because I didn't want to carry 2 phones. I talked my work into paying for a Verizon 4G LTE mifi instead... since they don't really call anyway, and was cheaper option for them. If you have a business, 2 phones might be a good idea to keep business and personal separate. The advantage I have with having both carriers for data is that I can switch back and forth when data coverage sucks for one of them.

6. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I dont need two developer accounts. I want the phones on both carriers that way I will have two devices to develop with and also test my apps on both networks. Get it?

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Waste of resources at your level. There's nothing different between the two networks up at the level your programming phone apps for.

8. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a

As a developer may I recommend an iPhone 4 and a iPhone 3G! You need to cover a spectrum of phones. Why get 2 of the same phone?

I personally test on a 4 and a 3G, and nearly every simulator level. Also multiple versions of xCode are installed on our systems. Others test on the 3GS, but I don't require physical testing on it.

9. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

If you need a 2nd line, try Google Voice or Line2. I'd personally recommend GV because it's free. Unless I've missed something w/ GV, the big disadvantage is that they'll utilize the same voicemail. So if you're "business line" needs to be very professional and you want your personal line vm to not sound like a business then you may need something besides GV.

I would NOT recommend having 2 iPhones on both networks if you're paying for both. Are you going to get 2 more if Sprint and T-Mobile start carrying the iPhone? The suggestions to get older / different versions are good or you may even want to think about an iPod Touch.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Poor college student with 2 smartphones? Man, things have changed since I was working 3 jobs to get though school.

11. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I owned phones on both networks briefly. But that's only because I ordered my iPhone 4 off of Verizon's web-site, then ported my number from my AT&T iPhone to my Verizon iPhone. After that, the GSM model was sold on eBay. I personally think it's a bit dedudant to own the same phone on two different networks.

12. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Why'd you say you're upgrading to have a second developer's account? Anyway that doesn't matter. You wouldn't need 2 iphone 4s. You'd want like an iphone 4 and maybe an ipod touch.