Anyone have any experience unlocking with the Givey SIM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tariqi, Oct 7, 2011.

1. tariqi macrumors newbie

I've got an iPhone 4 with BB 03.10.01 and I want to unlock it. I've heard mixed things about the Gevey SIM. If it has worked for you, where is the best/cheapest place to buy it? I've seen a lot of fakes on Amazon with very mixed reviews. Sorry if this question has been asked/answered before, I searched the forums but didn't find any comprehensive answer.

2. PeteyV macrumors member

I actually had to use it for 5 weeks while I was in Macedonia this summer. I had an iPhone 4 from ATT that I had brought with me and a cell phone shop in the city there used a Gevey to unlock it for me. They charged me 1500 MKD Denars which is ~$32 at the the time which is the going cost for the sim online. It worked great on T-Mobile MK I had full service at all times compared to what I get here in the US. The only downfall is that if your iPhone dies and you have to charge it you have to redo the gevey sim unlock. I got pretty good at it and it isnt very hard once you see it done once. Hope this helped you.

3. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I'm currently using the gevy SIM on my AT&T iPhone 4 while studying in London for a term. It is working wonderfully. I'm actually on a weekend vacation in Malta and it's working great here as well.

I bought mine from applenberry.com and then got a giffgaff SIM in the UK (super duper cheap plans!!)

As stated above if you lose signal for an extended period of time or shut off your phone you have to re-do the Gevey thing... But it takes less than a minute.

The only possible downside is that I heard iOS 5 might not be supported. Other than that, I couldn't be happier with it.

4. onyx519 macrumors newbie

onyx519

I have been looking for an alternate way of unlocking my iPhone 3GS as well. I really don't want to do the iPad baseband version because of the complications that can happen in the future with updates and restorations.

Does this work with 3GS's or is it just for iPhone 4? Also, where can i get more information about it? I've been searching for info, but can't seem to find anything that can give me a complete tutorial of how it works and what are the pros and cons. Thanks for your help.

By the way I'm on iOS 4.3.3 with BB 05.16.02