Anyone have any experience with Apple Maps in the NYC area?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by paulbennett95, Nov 8, 2012.

1. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I got temporarily displaced by Sandy, so my commute to school via train now is like 4 hours, so I was gonna try and drive to school. I figured I'd use the turn by turn for navigating. I have to go from upstate NY to LI so does anyone know if the info is any good for that area, since everyone says Maps sucks, and I'm not trying to get lost at 6am in the city driving. Can anyone confirm how well Maps works in the NYC area? Thanks.

2. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

No recent experience in NYC but i have been in two other large cities in the last two weeks, Los Angeles and Vancouver BC and everything was spot on perfect. Apple even picked up the various construction changes in Vancouver. I bet you will be absolutely fine, for peace of mind take a backup map such as the free app "Waze"

3. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

POI's and turn by turn in L.A. over the past two days has been perfect for me...airport, hotel, work, restaurants, rental car return..all came up perfectly and directions were correct and fast.

Off to San Francisco...can't wait to see how HopStop/maps works there.

4. paulbennett95 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Well more people live in NYC than LA so I'm assuming if LA is good so will NYC.

5. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Hah...

6. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

You could compare what Apple suggests, one time, with another map service like Google and make sure the route is the same.

The issue, for any, it could be 100% correct from someone 5 miles from you going to some place 5 miles from where you are going and still be wrong for you. I'd do a compare before heading out the first time.

7. dv8r macrumors 6502

dv8r

I think the basic mapping information is more or less correct (as in street layout). Walking Paths, Transit information and POI's are severely lacking and wrong for most of New York, so take that into account when You navigate.

8. waw74 macrumors 68030

you obviously didn't try to ask siri for the weather. I live in NYC, and no matter if i asked for the weather, or the weather in New York or zip code 10036, she would give me the weather in New York, Texas.
    ask for Brooklyn, and you got Brooklyn, Ohio.

This has been fixed, but it took a few weeks.

--
    to answer the main question. Major roads should be fine, you might run into problems on some smaller side streets, especially newer ones, but as most new york streets have been locked in for quite some time it shouldn't really be an issue.

there are a few good, free alternatives out there, if you want to download ahead of time to have some backup.
    mapquest for mobile
    skobbler

9. paulbennett95 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Thanks for the help guys. I'm mainly going to be on the major roads and highways so I'm sure ill be fine, I just wanted to make sure.

10. TheShadowXX macrumors regular

NYC pereson here.

I've found that when using it to walk around the POI's are most of the time incorrect. Some of them don/'t exist, etc. If your using apple maps to drive then it's okay, but personally I use the free GPS app, Waze and I like it a lot.

11. Brazuca macrumors regular

Live in NYC. POIs are hit and miss.

Turn by turn is superb, traffic routing is great, and the transit apps available are also first rate.

One thing to watch out for: The approaches to tunnels and bridges in manhattan are very complex, and there are traffic related closures to some turns that are fluid. You may be told to turn onto a road that is normally open but that the police has blocked to let traffic flow better. Just watch the signs/traffic flow when you are getting there.

12. rasputinj macrumors regular

have not been in NYC, but have used it in LA, Seattle, SF and LV. All areas worked well. I have not had any issues with Apple Maps.

13. RicoRich196 macrumors member

I'm from NYC and I'll be honest, Apple maps have been hit or miss, mostly hit but when it misses it really screws up.

Currently, though I live in the Bronx if I put in my address it places a marker almost 2 miles away. To fix this when putting the address I have to replace "Bronx NY" followed by my zipcode with "Ny, NY" which always refers to Manhattan so this is wrong.

Attempted to drive to a shopping center on 116th street in Manhattan a fews weeks ago and it actually told me to make a right way turn onto a one way street. Reported that one immediately.

I had to drive to 23rd street and Pike Place in Manhattan last night and stopped at the store on 135th street before jumping onto the Third Ave Bridge, when I got back in the car Siri wanted me to go all the way down to 138th st and make a U-Turn when all I simply had to do was make a right then a left to get on the bridge.

Other than that everything is smooth.

14. paulbennett95 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I haven't yet used Siri for driving, but I used her for walking directions on Long Island and in westchester and it worked perfectly, so I'm happy with it. I don't get why people were hating so hard, I love the app.