Anyone have any experiene with an Optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tevans333, Aug 19, 2011.

1. tevans333 macrumors member

I'm looking at the MCE optibay to add some more storage to my early 2011 MBP. It looks like a great option, just wondering if anyone here has used one and can share if they are any good or not.

2. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

I have the OptiBay (well, a generic version that cost me $13.00 from eBay), and it works great! I have my storage drive in that bay and my SSD in the original HDD bay. The only issue I have ran into is if you want to Bootcamp, you need to put your original SuperDrive back in to install. After install, swap back to the way it was. Maybe you can use the MacBook Air SuperDrive to solve this, but a USB flash drive or a regular external DVD drive will not work.

Other than that, try to find a generic one (not Hong Kong), as $99 is a bit much for one.

3. whitehat09 macrumors newbie

My story is much like dlimes. I got a generic optibay off ebay for around $13-$15 (I forget the exact amount) and it has been glorious. My Agility 3 SSD sits in the stock hdd bay and holds the OS while the optibay is for storage. I didn't install the OS until after I removed the superdrive, using a LG usb dvd drive. I didn't have any problems with OS X, but I tried to load Ubuntu and this froze (maybe this is what dimes was referring to by needing the superdrive for bootcamp). Im considering buying a usb enclosure for it, ebay can get you a cheap one for about $10 with no front bezel. Maxupgrades has a nice one for $30.

4. tevans333 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, I went ahead and pickup up a $15 one ebay:) It went in easy and works great!

Next question, is there a way to have time machine back up both drives to a Time Capsule? Right now I can only backup the main drive with the OS on it. Not a big deal if I can't, but it would be nice:)

5. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

It should back up both drives by default... it backs up both of mine.

6. tevans333 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone have issues with their system hanging while shuting down?