Anyone have any first hand experience with the "Erase All Content & Settings" Feature

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Brother Esau, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

Can anyone shed light to the exact nature of what this feature does? I know it sounds self explanatory, but...I take nothing for granted & I assume nothing these days! Does this leave you with a working iPhone after using this feature? Or are you rendered with a useless paper weight after wards? I would Also like to know what is the proper secure erasing method for a iphone where you cannot recover data from it when you sell it please?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It erases all including the OS installed on your iphone. It wont even turn on and would just be stuck on the apple logo.
    It renders it unusable untill you restore it thru itunes.

3. celticpride678

Erase All Content & Settings will basically remove all music, apps, data, settings etc. and leave you with a fresh OS. You'll have to restore in iTunes for the device to work again though

As for selling it, I recommend doing a DFU mode restore as a new device in iTunes.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, after he clicks erase all content and settins he will need to restore thru itunes cause he'd just be stuck on the Apple logo.
    It will not leave him with a fresh OS untill he installs the iOS on itunes.

5. macattack87 macrumors member

i'll tell you this much

dont push it if your phone is jailbroken
    it will cause the phone to be stuck on the apple logo until you put it in DFU and restore

6. brianktsui macrumors newbie

I've done an "Erase All Contents and Settings" on an 8GB iPhone 3G and a 16GB iPhone 3G (to sell after we upgraded to iPhone 4s), and both were restored to factory state, i.e. working but with no music, data and with only original apps. The fact that the 16GB took just about twice as long to erase as the 8GB (~2 hours for the 16GB) leads me to believe that the data is being overwritten, not simply marked as available space.

7. Dominat0r macrumors 6502a

Dominat0r

ive also done this on my 3G 8GB when i returned it to the apple store cause the sleep button decided to tuck into the case of the phone making it unusable.

It took about 20mins, the end result was a phone with NO INFO on it what so ever...just like if it was restored.

What works after that? I dont know, i turned in the phone and never saw it after that.

8. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

Do you need to plug it in to iTune for it to work?

9. Jason B macrumors regular

Really? Also, what is DFU?

10. Dominat0r macrumors 6502a

Dominat0r

mine didnt, it just started up as normal..

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats not possible.
    I dont know what you did or claim you did but if you hit the erase all content and settings the iphone will not boot up again untill you restore it.
    Maybe you did "reset all settings" reset network settings but not "Erase all Content and settings"

12. Dominat0r macrumors 6502a

Dominat0r

Nope I'm sure it was ok. I did this in the app store while I was waiting. I'm sure it worked on my 3G. I was able to boot and the phone was clean. Few mins the genius asked me if I need any info backed up. I said no and left with a new phone. I even posted about it on this board. Was over a year though.

13. debbiew macrumors newbie

Help

I restored my 1st generation iphone, it is now stuck on apple logo. Itunes will not recognize phone to restore, any ideas?
    My pc will not recognize it either, tried on another computer, same problem. I have basic computer knowledge, not much. Will the unlock programs I see advertised help with this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated. :(

14. Dominat0r macrumors 6502a

Dominat0r

Is this something new with 4.0 os? It didn't remove my apps just my person data.

Sorry maybe I'm mistaken. My appology.

15. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I just finished one this minute. it was 4.0 and it did remove all content. it did lock up on the apple logo for about 3 hours so I restored it in dfu mode and it worked. all settings erased, no sign of the jailbreak. this is not the suggested way to clean out a iPhone but this one had an issue and would not restore any other way and would not take the update. be prepared for a fight!!

16. brianktsui macrumors newbie

I've only wiped iPhone 3G's (not 3GS), but they were both definitely working normally afterwards. They spent a good amount of time erasing data (not just settings), but they booted into the home screen properly with no plugging in to iTunes required.

17. ratanak macrumors newbie

After Erase All Content and Settings, Ipad not work

The ipad is OS 3.2 and already jaiilbreak, However I was try Erase All Content and Settings, it take few minutes when I see apple logo with progress bar, after it finish, it does not turn on but only appear a small apple logo in center. I don't know what to do?

I read similar issue on ipod:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=924781

I wonder if this would help me with the ipad?
    or any one could help me out please,

thank in advance