Anyone have any suggestion for a cool pad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by devilstrider, Oct 4, 2010.

1. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

2. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

Anyone use Moshi - ClearGuard Keyboard Protector for Select Apple® MacBook® Laptops - Clear

Protect your keyboard from spills, dust and more with this keyboard protector that features a thin, transparent design with high-precision molding that forms to the keys for a precise fit.
    What's Included

* Moshi ClearGuard Keyboard Protector for Select Apple® MacBook® Laptops

Product Features

* From our expanded online assortment; not available in all Best Buy stores
    * Compatible with select Apple Macbook laptops
    Including 17" unibody MacBook Pro, 15" unibody MacBook Pro, 13" unibody MacBook Pro and 13" white MacBook models.
    * Protects your keyboard
    From spills, dust and other contaminants.
    * High-precision molding
    Offers a form-fitting design for a precise fit around each key that won't interfere with typing.
    * Nontoxic, engineering-grade thermoplastic urethane material
    Provides durability.
    * Transparent appearance
    Ensures that backlit keys can be clearly seen.
    * Washable and reusable
    For convenience.
    * Apple, PowerBook, MacBook, AirPort, QuickTime, iTunes and Mac OS are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Velocity Engine, SuperDrive and iLife are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.

3. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

Moshi - PalmGuard for 15" Apple® MacBook® Pro Unibody - Silver

This thin, unobtrusive, wear-resistant film protects your Apple MacBook Pro unibody against scratches, grease, smudges and more. A separate film is included to protect the trackpad.
    What's Included

* Moshi PalmGuard for 15" Apple® MacBook® Pro Unibody
    * Trackpad protector
    * Owner's manual

Product Features

* From our expanded online assortment; not available in all Best Buy stores
    * Compatible with the 15" Apple MacBook Pro unibody
    For reliable, unobtrusive protection.
    * Thin, semi-rigid, wear-resistant film
    Protects the palm rest area of your laptop against grease, scratches, color fade and more.
    * Precisely machined design
    Covers the entire palm rest area.
    * Color-matched
    To complement your laptop.
    * Separate film included
    To protect your laptop's trackpad.

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Those cool pads suck, I have the exact same targus one and I get better breezes/drafts INDOORS than that thing can do with fans... It has the worst fans ever, uses your usb power leaving you with 1 less usb and pretty much does absolutely nothing. Do not waste your money, and before getting a keyboard cover I suggest going on to ebay and buying a $1 one first or trying a computer with one on...you either like them or you dont.

5. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.aspx?sku=AWE55US

I got it at best buy. Used for my MBP 15". love it b/c its not loud, and the airflow goes to the sides instead of my stomach or knees. has some rubber on top of it to keep anything from sliding down also.

this is good as a LAP top. on a desk it looks weird and the angle looks a little to steep. to me anyway. i use to use SMSfancontrol to control my fans also. since i got the pad, no longer need to. Doesnt get hot when I am playing games.

6. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

This one got 4 1/2 stars from customers. I'm returning a 64.99 encase carrying bag I got for my MBO tomorrow because I'm just going to use my girls old carrying case.

7. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I have considered the Moshi keyguards but I appreciate the response of the Mac keyboards. I have the wireless keyboard for my iMac, and the keyboard attached to the MBP. I am afraid any level of interference between my fingers and the keys will reduce the experience. I would love if they didn't have this effect, but I have yet to see anyone raving about how great they are. It is hard to base my opinion on the reviews on websites. It seems they are always a list of diehard supporters or refuters.:confused:

8. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

4 1/2 stars. is that good? is it out of 5? if it is, thats pretty good i think..

9. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry it is out of 5. And they are all customer reviews.

10. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I get better temperature reduction lifting the back of my MBP up on like two 9volt batteries then with my mates coolpad thingy.

11. Bumflake macrumors member

I'm using a Coolermaster Notepal U2.
    The fans are removable so you can target them on the upper left corner where the CPU and GPU are.
    I only use it during long gaming sessions. It keeps the temperature about 8-12C lower than without it on my 15" i7.

12. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

thats good for a desk not a lap though...

13. netsurfz macrumors member

I'm using Moshi Keyboard Protector and Palm Guard.

Moshi Keyboard Protector will have scratches over time. I think the material is not so good after all. However, the Palm Guard is fine.

14. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

A ceiling fan is ok for me. Tonight, its still kind of cold, but I have my fan on low to pull down the warm air, and my SMC fan control temperature is only 44 degrees celcius. (forgive my spelling.)

15. deeesea macrumors 6502

I had this belkin one. I used that for a while with my 2.2 ghz white MB. It was pretty good, especially in preventing those damned fans from revving up to 6k when I'm watching youtube.

now I don't use anything but a Griffin Elevator, but that's more so my screen is elevated to the same height as my monitor.

16. happy2gomac macrumors newbie

Dumb question, but where are the "vents" on a 17" Macbook Pro? Not on the bottom for sure. On the back maybe? If so, then a cooler with fans on the bottom wouldn't do much would they? Just wondering.

17. tjb1 macrumors 68000

All of the unibodies vent in the hinge area of the screen.