Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joepicco47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
I'm a developer and have one iOS app currently in the App Store and two more currently being reviewed for submission. I have the developing side of the project down, but am in dire need of marketing tips. I've come across sites online that claim to market your app for you. Does anyone have any experiences with sites like these? Also, sites like http://www.whatsoniphone.com/ sell ad space for your app. Anyone have any luck with sites like these? If so what sites have brought you success?

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
prmac.com is great and very cheap. Used them for my last app, after a pretty bad launch (had to get it out before xmas, and unfortunately apple took ages to approve it.. it got approved on the day I flew out to africa for a week long holiday.. not ideal ;))

The effect was great, I went from ~10-20 sales per day to a peak of around 200. Initially the press release got posted up on lots of sites, which generated some interest on its own, but then a few sites picked up on it over the next week and featured the app which really pushed it.

Not tried the others you mentioned, but the other thing that worked well for me is simply posting up an announcement on sites like this that have a section for dev announcements (I post as myself, with an honest description of what I've made in this case.. nobody wants to read a press release on a forum, but a chat with the devs about their work is great, and I'm speaking more as a forum visitor than a dev here :))

rruud

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
Do you have much of a budget for marketing? The most effective marketing would be pay per install, that way you only pay for what you get, couple that with traditional PR and guerilla tactics, that's definitely a start. Check out SmartAppMarketing.com for some ideas.

Good Luck.:apple:

Charlie Sheen

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Mars
One think thats bad for marketing is decreasing and increasing the app prices constantly. You should have a stable price and never change it. The users wont recommend the app if the price was high during their purchass.

joepicco47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Thanks a Bunch

Hey thanks a lot guys for your suggestions. Much appreciated. prMac looks great btw psonice. Thanks again. And Charlie...thanks for the advice.

joepicco47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
prmac.com is great and very cheap. Used them for my last app, after a pretty bad launch (had to get it out before xmas, and unfortunately apple took ages to approve it.. it got approved on the day I flew out to africa for a week long holiday.. not ideal ;))

The effect was great, I went from ~10-20 sales per day to a peak of around 200. Initially the press release got posted up on lots of sites, which generated some interest on its own, but then a few sites picked up on it over the next week and featured the app which really pushed it.

Not tried the others you mentioned, but the other thing that worked well for me is simply posting up an announcement on sites like this that have a section for dev announcements (I post as myself, with an honest description of what I've made in this case.. nobody wants to read a press release on a forum, but a chat with the devs about their work is great, and I'm speaking more as a forum visitor than a dev here :))

Quick question, which package did you choose? Or did you just choose the free press release?

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Just the standard $20 one. I wrote the press release myself (paying close attention to the FAQ, this is really important!) and they corrected it for me, improving a few bits (didn't expect this much service for $20!).

If you do it, remember you're writing for journalists, and remember that journalists are busy, and have a big site to fill with content. If you can give them an easy article they'll often publish it. I.e. you need something interesting or new about your app, or some angle to get some interest. Provide them with some text they can cut + paste into an article, good pictures and a video :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.