Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
My 12.9 is my work/desktop device - I take it with me to remote into my mac mini, do most tasks. My mini 6 is my at home "Cough/Bed" surfing device. I find the iphone too small for media consumption so that's why I got the mini 6

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
I have a 2020 12.9 and an m1 11 pro. I could live with just the 11 but probably not just the 12.9. Bigger isn’t always better. :)

Reactions: rui no onna

Charlie Carcinogen

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2022
A couple of years ago, my wife and I went Mac-less. We found we could do everything we needed to do on our IPP 12.9s. We had our IPP 12.9s for over a year before we both added a mini 6. For our use cases the mini is the perfect complement to the IPP 12.9. Our iPads are almost exclusively home-use devices, although we both take our mini 6s with us sometimes when we go to places with Wi-Fi. My usage is 60-40 in favor of the IPP 12.9. My wife’s usage is 60-40 in favor of the mini6.
Do you have some type of computer in your home for those times when you have to do something that is impossible on a tablet or phone?

trhoffmann

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2019
Do you have some type of computer in your home for those times when you have to do something that is impossible on a tablet or phone?
No. We have not run into a task that we cannot complete on our iPads, so I don’t know to what you might be referring as “impossible”.

Charlie Carcinogen

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2022
No. We have not run into a task that we cannot complete on our iPads, so I don’t know to what you might be referring as “impossible”.
There have been various things spoken about in the sticky thread about replacing a Mac computer with an iPad. It’s good that you never ran into them.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Thinking of replacing my aging 10.5 iPad Pro with a 12.9 model. I have also been thinking of picking up a Mini 6 for on the go. Curious if anyone else runs this setup? How do you like it? Do you use one more than the other? Thanks for any advice.

Yep. My wife calls my 12.9 ’the downstairs iPad’ and my mini 6 ‘the upstairs iPad ’… I keep the 12.9 paired with the keyboard on a coffee table for answering emails, editing documents, while sitting watching television with her. Sometimes i use it with universal control next to my mac. The mini is for surfing and just reading. I find the smaller form factor much easier to hold in my hand. Work versus entertainment. Two different purposes, each sized appropriately. I love having both.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I have the 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" and current iPad mini 6. The iPad Pro 12.9" was the replacement of the aging 10.5" iPad Pro. To me I use it with the iPad Pro magic keyboard and works very well. The iPad mini 6 is an on the go from home to work.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I did for 2 weeks, sold the mini, good for books some apps, no so for websites, didn't like the TID, after having a M1 12.9 it's hard to use anything else, I have 13 max too so it cancels the need for a mini.
I prefer the big square iPad shape don't even like the 11" my wife has.
Ditto ish

Had a 10.5 pro. Replaced with 12.9 pro (which is still portable, you don’t actually need a wheelbarrow to transport it!). Have a 13 Pro Max and bought a mini 6. Mini 6 went back. It felt like the “netbook” that didn’t do any task better than either of the other 2 devices. Add jelly, and the fact I was used to superb blacks and pro-motion, the mini just couldn’t stay.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Ditto ish

Had a 10.5 pro. Replaced with 12.9 pro (which is still portable, you don’t actually need a wheelbarrow to transport it!). Have a 13 Pro Max and bought a mini 6. Mini 6 went back. It felt like the “netbook” that didn’t do any task better than either of the other 2 devices. Add jelly, and the fact I was used to superb blacks and pro-motion, the mini just couldn’t stay.
Yeah, I didn't like the TID either.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I recommend considering the Logitech crayon for those with multiple iPads. Most of the time, speaking for myslef, using the Apple Pencil with the iPad mini isn't worth the trouble of having to pair the device with the mini, and then again with the pro. But the Logitech crayon can be used with multiple iPads without having to repeatedly pair it. It's not for artists; you lose pressure sensitivity with the Logitech crayon. And it's a little odd having a stylus with an on off switch. But it's worth it to me, for the flexibility with more than one iPad.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I recommend considering the Logitech crayon for those with multiple iPads. Most of the time, speaking for myslef, using the Apple Pencil with the iPad mini isn't worth the trouble of having to pair the device with the mini, and then again with the pro. But the Logitech crayon can be used with multiple iPads without having to repeatedly pair it. It's not for artists; you lose pressure sensitivity with the Logitech crayon. And it's a little odd having a stylus with an on off switch. But it's worth it to me, for the flexibility with more than one iPad.

+1. Sometimes I mark up multiple PDFs simultaneously and the Crayon (and Apple Pencil clones using similar tech) is much more convenient than having to swap Pencils. Bonus, it works on any 2018 iPad and newer.

Reactions: RickTaylor

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Thinking of replacing my aging 10.5 iPad Pro with a 12.9 model. I have also been thinking of picking up a Mini 6 for on the go. Curious if anyone else runs this setup? How do you like it? Do you use one more than the other? Thanks for any advice.
I don’t, yet, but likely will. Traded my iPad mini 5 plus my MacBook Air for a 12.9” Pro with Magic Keyboard. For most purposes it works fine, I also have a Kindle for when I want to read a book without the big slab. But, I do miss the iPad mini, so figure I’ll get a mini 6 to complement the Pro.

Reactions: RRC

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I do now! Got in on the $399 deal and I’m loving it.

I don’t understand the  Pencil pairing struggle, though. Slap it on the side of the device you want to use really quick and you’re good to go! Do it all the time.

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
I just went this route and so far it makes sense for my use case and is very similar to @G5isAlive . I love my 12.9 IPP, however, I've realized it's primarily a media consumption (YouTube TV, Netflix, Gaming, Web Browsing) device, while the Mini 6 has become more of a work device (Planner, One Note, Teams) and my Kindle. I really wanted to move away from pen and paper for notes and planning and I've tried different devices (Remarkable 2, Onyx Boox, Kindle Scribe) and landed on the Mini 6.

Last edited:

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I have only iOS devices for personal use (12.9” M1 IPad Pro, iPad mini 6, and 14 Pro Max). The iPad is used mostly at my desk or at the piano; the mini 6 is used elsewhere around the house, and to stream Golden Girls while I sleep.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I just went this route and so far it makes sense for my use case and is very similar to @G5isAlive . I love my 12.9 IPP, however, I've realized it's primarily a media consumption (YouTube TV, Netflix, Gaming, Web Browsing) device, while the Mini 6 has become more of a work device (Planner, One Note, Teams) and my Kindle. I really wanted to move away from pen and paper for notes and planning and I've tried different devices (Remarkable 2, Onyx Boox, Kindle Scribe) and landed on the Mini 6.
What did you think about the reMarkable 2?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I don’t understand the  Pencil pairing struggle, though. Slap it on the side of the device you want to use really quick and you’re good to go! Do it all the time.

Try doing that every 5 seconds when you’re reviewing/comparing/marking up 2 documents at the same time on 2 separate iPads.

Reactions: Digitalguy

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I have a Supernote A6X now and tried a Scribe. Either are big improvements for me in terms of how I have historically used the iPad, which is for note taking. That’s what I have always used my iPad for primarily, and I now don’t have distraction, short battery life, or stress from notifications. I briefly thought about a mini with my 11” IPP, but I decided against it.

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
What did you think about the reMarkable 2?
It was ok. The file transfer IMO was wonky and the reMarkable software was sluggish (expected this with an e-ink display). It was nice to not have to charge the pen and the writing was awesome (as close to paper of anything I’ve tried), but again, too many times what showed up on the screen lagged. I really wanted to like, but ultimately decided it wasn't for me and i really don‘t like that you have to pay a subscription for Cloud Storage and app syncing.

leperry

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2020
I have a Supernote A6X now and tried a Scribe. Either are big improvements for me in terms of how I have historically used the iPad, which is for note taking. That’s what I have always used my iPad for primarily, and I now don’t have distraction, short battery life, or stress from notifications. I briefly thought about a mini with my 11” IPP, but I decided against it.
Same. I was impressed by how much better the Remarkable is for note taking than my iPad. I think I’m getting to a point in life where I’m tired of LCD screens everywhere around me. When I read, especially PDFs, I want to enter into that flow state, and it’s getting increasingly harder to get to that with an iPad.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I use my 12.9” with a Magic Keyboard all the time, and I use it for most of my media consumption that isn‘t done on a TV. The Mini 6 is what I use when I want something hand held, reading books, just casual web browsing on the couch and so on. There is an overlap as I sometimes watch YouTube on the Mini and most of my web browsing is done on the 12.9” but it is all down to if I want to use a “laptop” or a tablet, my Mini is my tablet and my 12.9” is my laptop.

Reactions: mikemj23
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.