Anyone have both 13" and 15" 2012 cMBPs with SSDs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wonderspark, Apr 10, 2013.

1. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I want to know how much hotter and how much more fan use I'll see with a 15" 2012 non-retina MacBook Pro with an SSD in place of the HDD. I know it's unlikely, but maybe someone knows.

I have edited video in Premiere and After Effects on my 13" and I'm amazed that I never hear the fan kick up, and it doesn't get more than warmish. I understand my model has a lower base fan speed, so I'm wondering how much different a 15" will be. Not too big a deal, but I'm curious.

Thanks for the help!

2. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Hey,

I have both 13" & 15" cMBPs both with SSDs - I have to say that I don't remember noticing the fans going up on any of them.
    When I work with InDesign or Photoshop I do it across both computers - i.e. I start something on the 13" and then finish up on the 15 and I honestly I don't remember the last time I've heard the fans kick up.
    While working on the 15" I have it plugged into the Thunderbolt diplsay and used in clamshell mode - I sometimes lift the lid a bit (without triggerring the internal display) to help it cool off. The 15" gets quite hot (especially in the upper left side of the keyboard), but I like I said, I don't remember the fans kicking up and if they did they must've been quiet about it:) The last time it happened was probably when I worked the whole day from home and apart from the Adobe suite I had Safari with Flash videos opened. The Flash usually triggers the fans into the "jumbo jet take off" mode - if the computer is in clamshell. When it's opened it doesn't break a sweat. And other than that I really don't notice it.

3. wonderspark thread starter macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Thanks! That's just what I wanted to know! I'll probably add a 15" to my arsenal.

4. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

You're welcome:)

5. DanApple macrumors newbie

I've been toying with the idea of getting a 15" cMBP and dropping an SSD in. Have you run any benchmarks on the 15" cMBP? I'd be curious how well it stacks up against the 15" rMBP with a leveled disk drive playing field.

6. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

The R/W speeds of the Retina 15" SSD (Samsung or SanDisk- doesn't seem to make a difference) falls in between a Samsung 830 and 840. On paper the 840 Pro has an advantage, but I have yet to discern any real world difference.

In other performance aspects they're pretty much neck and neck, except that under load the Retina's fan kicks in slower and runs a bit quieter. The only area where there's any noticeable difference is the GPU- comparing 1GB cards, the Retina's is clocked about 15% higher, so at the same resolution 3D performance is going to be slightly better.