Anyone Have Clinical OCD and Worried about the 6 Plus Bending issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Inframan, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Inframan macrumors 6502

Inframan

I have horrible Clinical OCD ( Feel free to make fun of me if you must) and I absolutely can not stop thinking about this bending issue.

I stood in line for 23 hours and was #8 out of about 1,000 people in line at a very well known Apple store in Southern California to get my 6 Plus on Friday.

I adore the 6 plus. I can't put it down. I have waited for this design and screen size from apple for 4 years now, patiently waited. I know a few people don't like the size but I think its perfect. :D

Reading things in this forum and watching the unbox therapy video has left me seriously concerned about my 6 Plus, I literally can't stop worrying about bending my phone and I refuse to return it for the smaller 6.

How accurate do you guys think this test was?

I use the OEM Apple Silicone case (blue) and I'm super careful not to put the phone into any pockets with tight spaces.

I feel bad for Apple having to go through this again, I remember Poor Steve having to do that small press event to give away the free cases. And i know Tim did a lot to surprise us with the new phones and he wanted the Keynote to be awesome for us and I truly felt Steve's presence there and I approved of everything Tim did. It was great to see Phil smile and go over the features. There is no doubt in my mind that if Steve was alive he would be happy with the 6 and 6 Plus and the watch.

I guess I'm just overly worried and I know I sound like a crazy person but I literally have one materialistic item in my life that Ive come to love and those are my iPhones and i just need some assurance that this phone is somewhat structurally sound.

Even if its not, I don't mind being super careful until the 6S Plus comes out as long as they fix the problem for the bending issue as long a don't change this gorgeous design.

The Galaxy Phones are made of plastic and feel cheap to me sorta like a old 1990's Saturn or Kia....The 6 Plus feels prestige like a Ferrari or Lamborghini and those cars are some of the best performing cars in the world yet the most fragile.

If you have OCD please chime in.

Thanks for listening.

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Your phone is going to bend soon.
    Maybe it just bent.

:rolleyes:

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you have OCD, and you cannot stop thinking about the bending issue, then I highly recommend you return the phone and get something else - just for the sake of peace of mind.

4. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

That, or steer clear of this forum for a month. It's a hyper-competitive echo chamber in here right now.

5. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

Yes I have actual OCD. You shouldn't have to qualify it as clinical either. But anyway I have it but the bending thing doesn't bother me too much but I have checked a few times. I think that if you noticed it bending it would be very noticeable anyway. But I have mine in a case and am not worried about it. My jeans and shorts are fairly loose. Just be careful with it like any electronic!

Also can you post a pic of your blue iPhone?

6. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be able to change my 6+ for a regular 6. Everyone already thinks I'm crazy for carrying this phone but I love it and it's perfect for me, even with all the allegations of bending. Either way, I was reading that Apple will start replacing phones that show signs of bending, which is great.

Try not to live by fearing that it'll happen. Either way, you can always get a new one :)

7. Inframan thread starter macrumors 6502

Inframan

Yes, I'll definitely be careful. I refuse to return it, I love this phone insanely! Thanks for chiming in :) Heres a Pic of "Thor" lol..

Attached Files:

8. Cryates macrumors 68000

Why not return the phone? Problem solved.

I honestly don't think this will be an issue for 99% of buyers.

9. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Just relax, if you do bend it (highly unlikely), Apple will replace it with a nice new iPhone plus.

Unless you are attached to that specific phone you will be fine.

Do you by any chance have Applecare +

10. Inframan thread starter macrumors 6502

Inframan

I also read that post about the Apple employee chat but until Apple confirms it, Its all skepticism. My family and my employees all think i have gone mad over this phone. This happens every year (I call it iPhone Month) so I'm used their reactions by now.

I got the AT&T damage plan for 6.99 a month with a $199.00 deductible which helps but I still don't like exchanging phones, If its mine then I want it to remain mine. But Im sure Apple will look out for us, they always do :apple:

11. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

Nice! looks great

Is the color similar to a 5c in blue, if you've seen one?

12. Brian Y macrumors 68040

No.

This has been blown very much out of proportion (thanks in part to MacRumors). So far we have what, 2 confirmed genuine users with bent phones? Out of the 10m they sold, that's a 0.00002% failure rate.

I'm not counting the hysterical "WE NEED AD REVENUE SO WE'RE GOING TO BEND PHONES ON YOUTUBE" posts here. Those are ridiculous. Taking a block of aluminium, bending it forcefully and being surprised when it does bend?

But of course, it's cool to hate on Apple around product launches.

13. Souskei macrumors member

It sounds like the plus might cause you more anxiety than what its worth...

It is, after all just a phone.. And if you have to worry about it like a child, then I dont know if it's healthy for you to own such a device. If I told you it will bend when it's in your pocket and you try to tie your shoe; would your OCD kick in every time you put your shoes on and it's in your pocket? I think clically Ocd people should stay away from triggers right? I dunno..

But than again.. I'm no psychologist, so hey - Do what you must! #

14. Inframan thread starter macrumors 6502

Inframan

This all makes sense to me. If those Statistics are somewhat close then I'm happy again. I know its just a phone but for me it's a vision someone had to make peoples lives better. Its tradition for me and my brother to stand in line each year and although ill never tell him, it's the funniest day for me every year to spend time with him and get our new iPhones. But thanks for chiming in....Ill be super careful not to bend it.

15. xealo macrumors 6502

I'm like you, but I wouldn't call it OCD. Anal retentiveness is more like it.

16. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

17. ozshadow macrumors regular

18. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Bend your on purpose, then you are over it and can enjoy it. Or get some help for your OCD.

19. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

20. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Return the silicone case and get a thin rigid case then it's a non-issue.

I also have clinical OCD about damaging my belongings although I'm not worried about the bending issue since Apple will replace it anyway if it does occur. Curious to hear more about your OCD so we can be the two people on here that admit to having it :cool:.

21. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I suffer from anxiety and have had OCD in the past so I know how these things can play on your mind and cause misery.

What id do is either get a solid case so bending is impossible or sign up to some kind of insurance so you know you could get it replaced if it did bend. If you can solve the problem then hopefully your anxiety level will drop soon.

22. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I recall years ago when the flavour of the day was antenna gate or yellow screen gate.

I spent silly time researching and matching my iPhone to Apple Store demo models until I stopped , took a step back ,took a breath and looked past it all. I still read these posts but now I just remember the phone , yup it's a phone, works and does what I need.

A bit like people worrying about battery life. I remember a very good tip to stop worrying about it. Turn off the battery % and enjoy the phone and charge it when needed !

I say to you try to stop worrying and enjoy the phone as best you can. :)