Anyone have experience getting replacements from Dell?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AP_piano295, Jun 22, 2010.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I've had a Dell laptop (XPS 16 1640) for about a year now because frankly I just could not afford the same features on a mac :( . At least I expected problems so I was smart enough to get a 4 year warranty and now I'm having issues (no big surprise)

I've got quite a few issues and I have reason to believe that they aren't all fixable via replacement parts (in particular a major core throttling issue that is a major problem that has been recognized in this line, though dell does not publicly admit a problem exists (Sarcastic).

So I would like to pursue a replacement or refund (replacement would probably be best) in one of their other lines.

Does anyone have experience dealing with Dell and issues like this.

What worked what didn't?

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

A few years ago I had an HP laptop and was in a similar situation to what you were in. HP support tried to tell me it was my fault for the problems I was having when it wasn't, but I stayed firm and insisted that they replace the power cord and failed hard drive and eventually they did. So my advice is to be firm and don't take no for an answer. Eventually you'll get something out of it, whether it's what exactly what you want or not. Also, make sure to set aside an entire afternoon to deal with them because it can take quite a long time.

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I've not had any experience with Dell (as I've never owned one) but I had a the sliding medal clip on a floppy disk get stuck in my HP desktop a few years ago and they replaced the whole thing with very little argument. It was refurbished however.