Anyone have experience mounting iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wesg, Aug 12, 2008.

1. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

My sister is considering getting a beautiful 24" iMac to replace her aging iBook G4, and as the resident Mac nerd, it's my duty to guide her.

I suggested getting a wall mount and BT keyboard and mouse and create a truly awesome setup. She was intrigued, but now I need to know what is involved. The Apple Store says I need a wall mount and adapter, but does anyone have any suggestions/comments/tips on what I can do? How hard is it to install yourself? I really don't want a 24" iMac coming crashing down on the desk.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The wall mount adapter replaces the iMac's stand. It connects to the same harness inside as the regular stand. Then you connect the adapter to any VESA Mounting system then connect it to the Wall, just make sure to mount it into the studs with the 24" screen as the weight may be a problem with just drywall anchors.

TEG

3. vestigo74 macrumors member

Don't forget the connector ports are on the back and the DVD drive is in the side.

That might make it a bit of a pain in the ass to connect your iPod/external drive/USB Key, etc etc. Not only that, but having to reach up the wall (over the desk, I'm assuming) every time you want to put a CD in to rip/listen or watch a DVD etc would be a pain as well.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The best wall mounts allow you to pull the computer away from the wall, and most desks are not deep enough to make it difficult to reach the computer.

I would suggest a hub on the desk if connecting thumb drives is a common thing you do.

TEG

5. vestigo74 macrumors member

Ah. Good points on the hub and the moveable wall mount.

Personally, my desk is quite big. I don't even come close to being able to reach the wall... I'd have to get up and climb on top of my desk to get to the... well you get the idea. :D

6. chrisprobert macrumors newbie

Here's a blog post on mounting an iMac with a VESA arm. While the arm is a little different to the wall mount you are considering, it's still the same basic idea.

Also, it is worth noting that only the 24" iMac is compatible with VESA mounts since apple does not offer VESA adaptors for the 20" version.

7. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Just to note, I have the IBM arm and its the same arm in that blog only black. It works great.

LENOVO Radial Arm