Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toi

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
the first day i got the mba 11 , i went ahead and bought the speck see through black satin case.

i'd say it is the best $50 spent for a protective case. it adds no bulk and saves me the paranoia of "did i scratch the mba here and there"

u can consider getting a skin to the mba too but i think this is better for long term against deep scratches or little dings down the line.

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
spec is great

I appreciate your feedback :)

That's kinda my thinking as well. The only thing is I had the 2010 from last November until I swapped for the 2011 this last week, so the silver is getting a little boring to look at (yeah, it's all about me, hehe)... so that's why I'm thinking about getting a shell.
I have one and i luv it. fits perfect and is light weight.

getyup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Ok you've convinced me... last question. Will it fit in the Incase\Tucano Neoprene Sleeves WITH the shell on it?

Also....

speck-products-11-macbook-air-see-thru-case-black-spka0229_11600717_raw.jpg
OR
speck-hardshell-case-for-macbook-air-11-aubergine__12439_thumb.jpg
??????

Dellfanboy

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Has anyone noticed over heating with these cases on? Also, do you still use a sleeve when putting it in your bag? Based on amazon and apple reviews it seems like it causes some serious overheating.

getyup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Has anyone noticed over heating with these cases on? Also, do you still use a sleeve when putting it in your bag? Based on amazon and apple reviews it seems like it causes some serious overheating.

I was reading one reviewer on Amazon talking about it basically doubling the internal heat temperatures of his air. I believe it, because the new 11" air gets a lot warmer than the old C2D model did. It still doesn't get "hot" but fairly warm in comparison.... so I don't want something preventing proper ventilation

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ok you've convinced me... last question. Will it fit in the Incase\Tucano Neoprene Sleeves WITH the shell on it?...

If this is your concern do not get the Satin version. My experience wass with a unibody Pro, and the tapered Air design may not apply.

While it technically fits, the matte surface prevented it from smoothly sliding in and out of the sleeve. Removing it was worse because I have to grip it extra hard to remove my Pro one handed. The regular SeeThru doesn't have this problem because the surface is smooth. This is compounded by the fact that the added thickness, however minimal, makes the sleeve an extremely snug fit. This was a shame because I like the matte surface due to its feel. The regular shiny plastic surface, shows fingerprints; scratches more easily than the matte; and the matte is easier to clean. I also found the bottom scratched dues to dust getting inside; the ultimate solution would be a Speck combined with something like a clear skin.

To sum up, I preferred the Satin Speck, but not in combination with a neoprene sleeve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.