Anyone have experience with the Canada Drive Safe iPhone Kit?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by blueprint1983, Jul 8, 2009.

1. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

2. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I had that exact looking thing from DealExtreme and it was terrible. Rather, I think mine was defective (customer service w/ DX is horrible, btw). Had it worked, I found having to plug in the cables was annoying, but it might work for you.

I'm loving the Satechi Bluetooth thingie that someone had recommended here (bought on Amazon). So much so that I've mentioned it here multiple times. Test it out but save your return packaging just in case. =)

4. V4705 macrumors 6502

i read there is an echo problem to the other side of the conversation (you should not hear that).

5. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

The Canda Drive Safe is the OEM so I'm hoping for better results. The other knock-off chinese brands are Allkit, Mediagate, iKit, and even the infamous "no-name brand".

This one costs about twice as much.

I saw the Saatchi but that thing doesn't charge your phone which is crucial for me.

6. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright folks, I'll still post a review when I get this, so at least someone will know how this particular model stands up in the real world.

7. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, just got it, initial impressions-

1 - Doesn't have the best build quality.
    2 - Doesn't hold the iPhone that tight.
    3 - looks kinda weird in a bad way.

Functionality-

1 - Works fine.
    2 - Sound quality was good.
    3 - Phone calls were static-prone.

I've only used it for a few minutes but I haven't actually drove with it yet.

8. praedar macrumors newbie

Stay Away from CanadaDriveSafe

I bought the CanadaDriveSafe also under the impression that it would be a higher quality device. Incidentally, the tension piece was broken upon arrival and my support emails were never answered. I finally found a phone number and called only to be told to send an email to another address (Miraz's personal email address, who at the time appears to have been running the company). That email was also never answered.

So, after jimmy rigging the device with some rubber bands to hold my new iPhone 3GS, it worked, without any issues, for about two weeks. Then it began stopping in the middle of playing songs/podcasts. It went downhill from there. Now that nearly two months have passed I can't play anything without it stopping every two or three seconds. Sometimes the iPhone renders an error message but it quickly disappears.

Finally, the purported ability to have "safe" conversations through this device while driving has been utterly false. It doesn't pipe through the audio to the speakers, nor does it have an additional microphone. Thus, the user has to start a speaker phone conversation and then yell in order for the mic on the iPhone to pick up decent audio from the driver.

I tried, just this week, to send several more emails and submit support tickets. I continue to wait for a reply, but it never comes.

Buyer beware, I would strongly advise *not* purchasing this device. Perhaps I'll try a Belkin next.

9. handsfree macrumors newbie

Canada Drive Safe BH200M2

I just received the Canada Drive Safe BH200M2 that I purchased. The unit came with a defective wall mount charger. I then charged the unit with a USB port. When unplugged the unit continued to report that it was still charging? I then tried the unit and the speaker did not work. The unit also came with the battery installed which leads me to believe that the unit was not new. Now for the good part..... on line support is unavailable..... the toll free number rings busy all the time...... the long distance telephone number is not answered e-mail has not been answered. :mad:

10. handsfree macrumors newbie

Canada Drive Safe

Canada Drive Safe BH200M2
    I just received the Canada Drive Safe BH200M2 that I purchased. The unit came with a defective wall mount charger. I then charged the unit with a USB port. When unplugged the unit continued to report that it was still charging? I then tried the unit and the speaker did not work. The unit also came with the battery installed which leads me to believe that the unit was not new. Now for the good part..... on line support is unavailable..... the toll free number rings busy all the time...... the long distance telephone number is not answered e-mail has not been answered.