Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Millwood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
NY/NY
I was looking around for a cheap, reliable web host. After looking through a couple of threads here, I didn't see anyone mention ZZ Web Hosting and after I see that they have 3.90/month with unmetered bandwith, I'm very tempted!
Anyone have any experience with them and/or recommend them?
Thanks!

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
It's a trend now for hosting companies to oversell their bandwidth and storage. On their side, there's always an invisible limit although for an average user, they would most probably not hit it. If you are expecting very high traffic for your website, do consider a more reasonable plan. But if you are just starting your personal site/low usage site, there are actually cheaper plans, and you would not require that much resources. I have not used them before and don't intend to, so I can't provide much help on that.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
"Unmetered" does not equal "unlimited." I had a similar plan (but more expensive) for my web site a few years back. I still have the email:

"This is a warning regarding an exceeded quota for the hosting account,
mariahplanet.com
It's already up to 37GB of transfer this month from 7Gigabyte limit. Each GB
transfer is an additional fee of $5.00 per gig. So far it's already up to
$150 for the extra 30Gigs.

This account is affecting the other users inside this server,
Cob2.namesarecheap.com, so please let us know immediately how would you like
to proceed from here.

Options below:

1. Upgrade to Platinum Plan - $99 a month (30 gigs a month and pay the extra
gigs)
2. Get a Cobalt dedicated server for $200 a month (50 gigs of transfer a
month)
3. Suspend the site"

When I emailed all confused, they said:

"Unmetered - meaning not monitored. But if bandwidth of a hosting account starts affecting other users. Hosting account is billed as $5 per gig after the 7gig bandwidth limit."

Maybe that was a little too much info, but I'm just warning you that if you expect a lot of traffic, go with someone that guarantees the GBs, not just "unlimited" or "unmetered."

Millwood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
NY/NY
Oh, thanks so much for the advice guys. I totally thought that unmetered meant and unlimited amount of bandwith.
I guess I should look at another plan then!

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
I was looking around for a cheap, reliable web host. After looking through a couple of threads here, I didn't see anyone mention ZZ Web Hosting and after I see that they have 3.90/month with unmetered bandwith, I'm very tempted!
Anyone have any experience with them and/or recommend them?
Thanks!

Why not 1and1.com?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.