Anyone have Incase Convertible Port Hole Problems?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by jazz1, May 9, 2010.

1. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Well I was happy to finally get my iPad 3G. In anticipation of it arriving I purchased an Incase Convertible at my local Apple Store. I've been pretty pleased with it, but the cut-outs for the headphone jack and dock in the leather seem to be out of alignment with the actual jack and dock holes in the iPad.

Open or closed I have to physically push the iPad in the case in order to see the jack hole, and the dock hole is partially obscured until I push and keep pressure on the iPad.

Even worse the case isn't totally square as I have to slightly skew the top or bottom of the iPad in the case and have to choose either to see the jack port or the dock port. Both won't show at the same time.

I've just fired off a complaint to Incase. I assume they might offer to replace the case. Is anyone else having the same problem? If so I guess I would know it is a design issue not a "one of" error.

I do like the case, but I'll move on to another brand if I have to.

2. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Yeah. I have the same issues with the ports, as does a friend of mine. I like the idea behind this case, but it was horribly done.

Only 2 of the 3 viewing angles actually work. Use it on your lap at 45 degrees for an hour, and now you have a rounded front cover.

Incidentally, I'm on this forum right now, specifically because I'm hoping to find a good replacement. Sadly, I don't think one exists yet. There are a lot of great cases out there, but none offer the flexible viewing angles of the InCase, even if only two of them work.

3. eg2007 macrumors 6502

I had that Incase, sold it on Ebay. My iPad always slid out a little and misaligned the holes. Drove me nuts. Picked up the Apple Case and a Targus leather sleeve from Best Buy. Works great, until the insane amount of cases come out that are probably in the pipeline.

4. jazz1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jazz1

Incase responded to my complaint. I have to call them. I'll let everyone know what they say .

5. Mac In School macrumors 65816

6. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

It is honestly the way the case is designed. I returned mine to the Apple store after trying it for about 2 weeks. You will soon find that it will no longer stay propped up in its different positions as well. Not a very good case. :(

7. Mac In School macrumors 65816

8. sanglin macrumors newbie

I have the Same issue and would love to hear what they say. It's hard to get the headphones plugged in without pushing my iPad deep into the case. In addition the volume button is partially obscured.

9. PhillStew macrumors member

I'm having the iPad sliding out of the case issue...and its annoying. Any ideas?

10. turboxt macrumors member

turboxt

Hmmm...tell me more!

:eek:
    So you can slide the IPAD in the Apple case into the Targus leather sleeve?

Looked way too snug for this...maybe I am reading this wrongly.:cool:

11. jazz1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jazz1

Hey, sorry all. I've not had a chance to follow-up. I've been administering exams for the last two weeks and working a lot of hours.

I called them today and was on hold so long I opted to leave a voicemail. Assuming they call back I will post my results.

I'm probably out of luck as I threw out the packaging. So if you still have your original packaging I'd hold on to it.

I will follow-up as I've got the time to pursue this with them.

12. jazz1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jazz1

Okay. I spoke to a rep. and he advised me to use the online return link:

http://www.goincase.com/returns/

The rep. was diplomatic and seemed to say that there was a replacement version out that might not have the pocket. No way of telling when that would become available as a trade.

The good news was that they would accept a request for another one of their products. I assume the trade would be for a product with the same price.

I'm waiting for an e-mail with a RMA. I hope this helps. I did like the product but access to the headphone jack and dock port was a deal killer for me.

13. jazz1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jazz1

All is Well That Ends Well

Incase sent me an e-mail confirming they are sending me the Travel Plus case as a substitute for the Convertible. I've also received a UPS confirmation of shipment.

I thought I would receive a return authorization. Perhaps that is coming with the replacement shipment?

Incase made this right, and I appreciate not getting a huge run around. I hope everyone with the Convertible fares as well.

14. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Yep. Worked good. Yes, it was tight. But, I'm obsessed with finding a perfect case. Sold my Apple case and my Targus case on Ebay. Made some nice profit, so I got the Sena Folio and the Incipio Feather combo going right now. Way better.

15. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

alignment problem solved

Had an issue like others with the shifting of the iPad. It was annoying having to shift it back.

Easy solution. Took a no. 50 binder clip and clasped it to the bottom. It's a tight fit but you can get it over the case. Inserted it a bit to the left as it does not need to be in the center.

Voila! Remove the metal flip part from the front and you're good to go. The rear side can stay on and just flip it against the back.

No more shifting, no more movement. A cheap and perfectly elegant solution.
    :p

Since I put on the no. 50 standard binder clip (I shift it towards the left) the thing is rock tight and hasn't shifted once. Don't expect it will. And the clip hugs the case but doesn't even touch the glass.