Resolved Anyone have Leopard Webkit version r81558??

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Oct 23, 2014.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Hey everyone,

So I decided to update Leopard Webkit on my G5 and ended up trashing the old one, r81558. I now have version r169580. (stupid idea to have trashed it). It bugs me that this new build now takes two bounces to open, whereas my previous version took only one... call me crazy, but it does. Anyone still have this version? I would love a .zip or some download link to it! I cannot find it for download online.

-Thanks

2. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

3. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Nevermind... getting rid of my newly-installed Adblock fixed it. I have noticed that Adblock causes the application not only to open more slowly, but causes pages to load at a much slower rate. I shall do a video capture demonstrating this, soon.

4. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

This page has two links toward the bottom which lead to archives of older Webkit builds: https://code.google.com/p/leopard-webkit/wiki/Downloads?tm=2.

The other archive has a build listed as last being modified of Feb. this year. Anyway, glad you fixed the problem!

5. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Ah, I see. Yeah, thanks, I am glad it's fixed. This is a drag though, considering I don't want ads. I'll make a video about this later and make sure I give you a link to it. It's weird that Adblock is creating trouble. Anyway, thanks for the list of builds.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I suggest running a dnsmasq and pixelserv setup to remove the ads. Much better than any browser based solution.

7. vlark macrumors member

And how does one go about setting this up under 10.5.8?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Use tigerbrew to download and compile dnsmasq. Then configure it to be a DNS cache server and point it to your customer DNS override list to block the ad URLs. Then tell your machine to use itself as a DNS server. Once dnsmasq is working, download and chmod the pixelserv perl script and set it to be a launch daemon so that it is always running.

9. B-G macrumors regular

In my experience AdBlock tends to be very heavy on system resources, even on intel macs. I prefer http proxies, Glimmer Blocker on OS X and Privoxy on Linux and Windows (if i remember correctly the mac version should work even on Panther). I've seen others use with good results simple CSS sheets on very low end machines.

I had never heard of dnsmasq and pixelserv. They look interesting. Should they be used on a router?

10. vlark macrumors member

Ah...Tigerbrew....no wonder I've never heard of these apps before. I don't run Tigerbrew and thus didn't have a clue.

11. CYB3RBYTE macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

The leopard webkit would be a great thing for Gavinstubbs to put on the PPC Archive! :D

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I've found that dnsmasq and pixelserv work best for PowerPC Macs on the computer itself. Intell Macs, iOS devices, and Windows machines can use it when it's hosted on the router or another computer on the network. For a reason I never looked into, Leopard and older versions of Mac OS X don't like it when it's hosted on another machine. You can repurpose an old iOS device, jailbroken of course, to work in this capacity, but not for a PowerPC Mac.

13. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Hmm, I will have to look into those then---thanks for the info.

UPDATE: Apparently no Tiger version exists, which is sad, but I will look around for a Leopard version of Glimmer Blocker for my Leopard Macs.

14. CYB3RBYTE macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

Wow, this is a great example of me being not so smart :p...

Gavin already put up the Webkit on the PPC Archive, its what I'm using right now actually!