Anyone have luck installing AMD 11.6 drivers for the 6970M ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zepharus, Jun 27, 2011.

1. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

im trying to install the 11.6 drivers in bootcamp and having no luck as it looks unsupported. Anyone able to get this working?

2. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Are you trying to install the desktop drivers, or the mobility drivers? The latter is needed, and you can find them at amd.com, just click "Support & Drivers" at the top right and fill in the details (Notebook graphics, HD Radeon, 6xxxM series, your OS).

3. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Notebook drivers... it is telling me I cannot install them as no compatible adapter is found

4. tsugaru macrumors 6502

Mine is saying this too.

Might be due to the finagling that Apple has done with the Boot Camp supplied GPU driver. I know that initially, I had installed Boot Camp drivers, then put 11.5 on there. However, some games didn't like it and I had to revert the driver, and then the system would only run off of the Intel integrated GPU (which I figured out because the WinSAT for my GPU was showing between 5.0 and 6.0, when it should be ~7.6.)

Next time I reformat my Boot Camp partition (most likely when Lion is released) hopefully the new drivers are good to go.

5. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Can you tell me what driver version you are currently running in Bootcamp (the actual driver version, NOT the Catalyst Control Version). I'm not in from of my iMac at the moment, however the driver I originally had installed in Bootcamp was dated sometime in January 2011 but I managed to update them to a more recent version which are dated May 2011 - when I get home this evening I can post what driver version I'm currently running for your reference.

6. SnorLars macrumors newbie

7. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Currently running:

Driver Version 8.861.0.0
    Driver Date: 24/05/11

I believe these are the most up-to-date ATI driver for the 6970 GPU, anyone know any different?

8. Kerel macrumors member

You need to download the complete driver (80MB) not the Catalyst Software Suite (1.11 MB) from the amd support site. It only checks if you have a compatable adapter and it will say no anyway.
    Then uninstall the old graphics driver, restart and install the new driver.
    This is how i done it on my 2011 21" Imac and should be no difference for the high end 27 model.

9. Toddi macrumors newbie

Attached Files:

10. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Hi Toddi

Did you just install the modded driver straight over the old one or do you have to uninstall the existing driver before installing this modded ones? I'm currently running driver Driver Version 8.861.0.0 but curious to see how this modded one performs.

Also, I downloaded the Futuremark program to get a 3D Mark vantage score, however the score I got didn't make much sense and the program noted that my videocard was performing below par compared to similar specced set-ups. Is the Futuremark program the one you used and any advice you can offer on this side of things as this is an area I'm not particularly familiar with.

many thanks

11. Toddi macrumors newbie

Hi spcdust,

no i only have overwritten the Driver. I didn't removed the old one.

The Benchmark was Futuremark 3DMark Vantage, the newest version from the website. Then i only choose the default Benchmark, without changing anything. What was your Score?

12. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

To be honest I can't recall, the figures, however for some reason I've got a figure some where in the 4000 range in my head but this figure was oddly prefixed with a letter P (possibly another letter as well) or something like that?

I'm currently at work and away from my iMac but I'll have a tinker this evening. I'll have another go with the Futuremark 3DMark Vantage program with the existing driver and then with the modded drive, see what the results are and report back.

With regards to overclocking the GPU - again something that's new to me but I'm interested in this, how complicated/easy is it (I'm pretty competent on computers). Can you give some pointers on this so I can at least read up on it and figure if it's something I want to do.

Many thanks

13. Toddi macrumors newbie

I only would overclock the GPU if you want to play new Games etc.

Here you find all Steps to overclock the 6970:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1156496

I played yesterday four hours Witcher 2 (res: 1080p, high details, ~40 FPS, looks stunning) and had no freeze or something else. After this 4 hours the GPU had a Temp. of 80C, after 60 seconds it went back to 60C.

14. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Hi Toddi

Well I Benchmarked with Futuremark 3DMark Vantage program and get the result P3257 (see screen grab)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm a bit confused by this mark, in the respect of what it means and how it relates to your mark of 14.900 - any thoughts?

Also I downloaded the modded drivers from the link you provided but again I'm somewhat confused as there seems to be absolutely loads of files to choose from. I already have the Catalyst Control Centre installed but I did re-install it again from the downloaded files - however my driver is still 8.861.0.0. Here's a screen grab of the "About Catalyst Control Centre":

[​IMG]

Hmmmmm, seem to be getting myself confused on this one so any guidance you can offer would be great.

Thanks in advance

15. Toddi, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

Toddi macrumors newbie

Attached Files:

16. spcdust, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Hi Toddi

Eureka!! Have now got it sorted - I decided to uninstall everything ATI related and start over again - I am now running the modded driver 8.871.0.0 and Catalyst Controller 11.7.

Also Bench marked the GPU using the correct program this time and scored 13635 which seems comparable to your score considering I haven't overclocked the GPU (think I'll hold off on that for the time being). If you ever get a chance would be interested to see your detailed scores from the 3D Mark Advantage test.

Many thanks

Attached Files:

17. Toddi macrumors newbie

Sorry for delay, here are the details:

Attached Files:

18. BdgerCmpny macrumors newbie

BdgerCmpny

Ok, hoping this isnt a dead thread by now, but...

I am having the same issues. My damn iMac i7 with 6970 has 3000 or so 3DMark11 score. BOLLOCKS! :mad: So i did explicitly what you guys did, uninstalling ATI drivers and installing the modded drivers from the first link, etc. But I still get 16.5 avg framerate right from the getgo on the 3DMark11 Benchmark thing. Please help?? I even checked to make sure i had the same System Info as you guys put up as attachments.

19. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Think you might have done what I originally did and are benchmarking using the program 3D Mark 11, what you need to be using is 3D Mark Vantage:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmarkvantage/download/

I'll check my computer when I get home this evening (UK Time) and see what driver version I'm running - however I do know I'm currently running Catalyst Control 11.8. Also, I'll post my latest benchmarks up for your reference.

20. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Here is the driver version I am running:

[​IMG]

And here are my current 3D Mark Vantage results:

[​IMG]

21. th0rr macrumors newbie

22. BdgerCmpny macrumors newbie

BdgerCmpny

23. BdgerCmpny macrumors newbie

BdgerCmpny

24. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

The results do vary, maybe run the test several times and see what kind of results you get.

To be honest I don't actually pay to much heed to these things, I just run the benchmark occasionally out of sheer curiosity - if games gfx are playing well then, for me, that's the main thing.