Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is your MacBook Air situation?

• It's my only computer, and I DON'T have an external CD/DVD drive

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • It's my only computer, and I DO have an external CD/DVD drive

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I have another computer in addition to the MBA

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • I don't have an MBA

Votes: 34 46.6%

• Total voters

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I'm just curious: Does anyone own an MBA and no other computer, and also no external DVD/CD drive?

I don't have the external drive, but I also have another computer (indeed, a total of five computers in the house).

sookainian

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2008
Singapore
Same, I don't have the external drive, but I also have another computer ( windows )

Till now i dont see the need of a CD-rom drive. :)

Even my windows desktop cd-rom drive, i haven't use it for years...

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
It's my only computer and I'm not missing the optical drive.

Wow... impressive! I very rarely use mine, but it sure comes in handy when you need it.

Though, come to think of it, I don't think I've had a disaster (e.g. something requiring a reinstall of the system) in several years. Maybe I'm just thinking like a 20th century computer user.

CaptainCannabis

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
It's my only computer, and I don't need more power.

Does everything I want, and I don't need more power.

Do people seriously need a computer that has 3.0ghz and a 512mb graphics card when they just browse the web, watch movies, listen to music and do work on their laptop? Do you even need 3 USB slots and the drive when you can connect to you printer and many other devices through blutooth and wireless? And you can download the music, and movies online at high speed and watch them as soon as you start downloading?

People are just picky.

The only thing I hate is the fan, it sounds like a damn hoover vacuum. And the occasional core shutdown, especially when I ichat for more than 15 min... Apple, you suck at this.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
My college setup.

MacBook Pro 17 inch 300GB Hard drive 4Gbs of ram 2.6ghz multi touch HD Display.:apple:
MacBook Air 1.8GHZ 64Gb no external drive :apple:
Perfect setup carry the air around and use the pro for the intense stuff:cool:

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I'm one without a dvd drive and I've had the air since April I believe. I'm away from grad school so when I need to rip movies, I do it at home 50 miles away. Don't really miss it, and if I do need to, I forsee using it once a month. I am thinking of buying a used superdrive on ebay one of these days. Its not a crucial item so I'm taking my time looking for a good deal. Looking to pay 50-60 dollars to justify purchasing. 100 is too much for something I will rarely use.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I bought the SuperDrive when I bought my 2nd MBA, and I've used the remote file transfer quite a bit with my Mac Pro. I travel too much, and the SD is pretty light and compact, so I store it in my CaseLogic sleeve in the top compartment right above my MBA. I've forgotten that it's in there on several occasions, but I have it with my MBA 24/7...:cool:

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I've had a MacBook Air and used it as a primary computer. Beyond my Virtual Machine work that was painfully slow, it was a great system. Never used the optical drive except the first day where I formatted to clear up some space.

n0de

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Ironically the only time I needed a DVD drive was to install MS Office ;)

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I have two iMacs and my MBA. I use the MBA when on the road it's a good secondary computer but I couldn't see it being my only computer. I did pickup the Superdrive, because I occasionally need to load info off a disk onto the laptop when on the road. I wish everybody would just use thumb drives. :)

BLACK MAC

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
I have a MacBook and I only use the drive when I need to install a program. I hardly burn anything, but when I need to it's handy. So I think I would lean towards having no optical drive and use it as external. That's when I need it.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Not using my MacBook Air as my only computer, but loving it all the same! :) :apple:

I do have the external Apple SuperDrive, but I rarely use it. It is easier just to transfer the files wirelessly from my iMac or Mac Pro.

dcMobile

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2007
NYC
I've got an MBA as my only computer (outside of work, that is), and I don't have a SuperDrive.

But I'm a bit of a cheater because my job involves me having an external hard drive with me at all times that has OS installation partitions, app installers, updates etc. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.